Help me decipher this one...

murpstud

So I got an email from the chair of a program, and she wanted to verify that should I be accepted, am I still interested in enrolling in the program? Is that another way of saying, "say yes and you're in"?

I would translate as "If you don't want it, tell me NO now, please." They are likely in their second round, and anxious to notify students that they would like in the program as the spots open. They don't want to be in April before they get an NO back from you.

(By the way, I am in no way an authority on the subject. That's just my best guess.)

P.S. Congratulations on getting in. As I think about it, you might be in a hard spot. Say this is the best school you have heard back from, but your top choice is still out in the ether. If that were me here is what I would do:

1) Don't email the school back until tomorrow evening

2) Call all of the pending schools tomorrow and ask them where the process is. How long before notifications are expected to be sent out? Is there a wait list yet?

3) Then email the school back and say, "Yes I am interested, but I also expect to hear from 2 other schools in the next two weeks. May I have two weeks to make a decision, or do you need a yes or no right now?" My guess is they would give you the two weeks. I would just be careful to be clear about the difference between saying you're interested and actually accepting the offer.

Edited by hydrangea

Thanks for the responses.

This is actually the last school I'm waiting on. I've been accepted everywhere else. The thing is that it is an in-state school and they fund about 75% of their students, so if I were to get a nice offer, it might tip the scales. I emailed them back and told them that i am still very interested, and told them that I've been accepted elsewhere, but they're out of state and that the in-state would be an attractive offer.