Applying for F-1 visa in a country I'm not a citizen of

Hi all, I'm admitted into MIT and I just formally accepted my offer yesterday, so this is exciting! 

Now to start this visa process.. 

So I'll be applying for the F-1 visa. I'm a New Zealand citizen, but I am currently working [research] in Australia. The two countries have close diplomatic ties, so any notion of 'unfamiliarity with the other countries' workings' should not be a concern (I think?). I was wondering if anyone else has applied for an F-1 visa in a country they're not a citizen of, and how that process was like for you? 

PS: Before someone suggests that I go back to NZ for my interview to avoid worrying about this - it costs quite a bit to go back!

Talk to MIT's international student office. They might have more thoughts and/or tips. I am sure you are not the first international student to go to their program to do a "Third Country Visa" application. I know that my own international student office would have not recommended it but would say it's possible. However, the main reason they don't recommend it is that if you are denied or have extra processing, then you will potentially be "stuck" in the third country. In your case, since you are already in Australia for other purposes, it's not like it would be a huge hassle to wait longer. But still, check with the MIT international student office first to ensure there are no other warnings against this.

(Note: Many of the people I know who do Third Country Visa applications are from countries who are only granted a single-entry visa, so if they leave the USA for a conference or something in not-their-home-country, then they either must do a Third Country application from the conference location or travel to their home country on the way back to the USA.  The other group are people with visas of a limited time (less than a PhD time) so they end up going to Canada or Mexico as the Third Country, which is much cheaper/easier than going home, but potentially can leave them stranded there for weeks if they don't get it approved right away).

Sorry I can't answer the direct question for you though. 

On 3/15/2018 at 1:19 AM, AstroMason said:

So I'll be applying for the F-1 visa. I'm a New Zealand citizen, but I am currently working [research] in Australia. The two countries have close diplomatic ties, so any notion of 'unfamiliarity with the other countries' workings' should not be a concern (I think?). I was wondering if anyone else has applied for an F-1 visa in a country they're not a citizen of, and how that process was like for you? 

I've applied for an H1B in a third country I was working in but was not a citizen of, and had no problems. The process was exactly the same as when applying in my home country. I think the main reason you're advised not to apply in a third country is for fear of getting "stuck" there if you're denied (and actually, these days, even if you're approved it can take a while to get your passport back with the stamp). It's also possible for the embassy/consulate in the third country not to agree to do interviews with non-citizens, but if you are legally in the country working, you shouldn't have any trouble. I'd suggest verifying with the MIT ISO that this is okay, and then just going ahead and booking an appointment with the Australian embassy near you. 

Thanks both of you for the replies! 

At this stage, I don't think that being 'stuck' here will be a problem legally. As a NZ Citizen, I'm entitled to work and/or study in Australia indefinitely, I just can't receive the full benefits as for an Australian PR/Citizen. There should be enough time too, once MIT sends me the I-20 form. I suspect they're busy sorting out logistics for those going to the Open House (not me) happening in 2 weeks+, but hopefully I get the form physically by the end of April. 

I didn't think about checking with MIT ISO, but I've got in contact with them to make sure that it's fine.

• 2 months later...

I should document my experience here since I've obtained my visa. 

I'm a New Zealand citizen who applied for the F-1 visa in Australia, so I was applying as a Third Country National, which turned out not to be a problem for me. 

I submitted my application to the MIT ISO on 24th April, my I-20 was shipped on 9th May from the US, and it arrived at my place on 15th May (Tuesday) local day. I checked the interview dates that day and had a lot of leeway - first interview date was late next week that week. I was waiting on a document from my parents in New Zealand, so I booked my interview for 6th June in another city. I got to the Consulate at 9.10am for a 9.25am interview, but had to wait for over an hour till it was my turn. There's a lot of processing - US sized passport photo, DS-160 confirmation, etc. The interview went like this:

- How long have you been in Australia?
- What are you doing in MIT?
- What are you doing in physics?
- What specifically are you doing in astronomy?
- Is MIT funding you for the entire time you're there?

After that, my visa was approved! Very keen to start the program! 

Of course, what I've gone through is only meant to be an indication, and in no way represents any one else's experiences other than my own. 

I did this as a European nationality in Korea.

They only wanted to see my ID-card for Korea (it seems to be a requirement that you cannot be on a tourist-visa - those we were not on a residence visa in Korea did not get the American visa it seemed).

Questions:
- Which school are you going to?
- Can I see your Korean visa/ID?
- How do you fund yourself?

After showing my funding letter he was basically OK and was asking like are you excited? haha

Just to add to the pot: I've just applied for my third F-1 Visa. Once in my home country, twice in other countries (one EU, one non-EU). Nothing changed. Always the exact same process and nobody commented on it (other than maybe asking what I was doing in the country at the moment).

On 6/19/2018 at 6:26 PM, ExponentialDecay said:

I just came here to say that you should never ask the MIT international student office anything because they are Boston's biggest trash fire. I've never known them to give the correct answer to a non-trivial visa question.

Do you mind sharing your experience? I'm curious about what they said in your situation.

Hi, I'm a Guatemalan national currently residing in Mexico.

I went for my F-1 a month ago to my nearest US Consulate in Mexico. I didn't have any trouble. They didn't even ask for my Mexican residence card. The only remarkable point would be that I wasn't approved my visa immediately after the interview, however they kept my passport. The interviewer told me that I had to respond via email some further questions before visa approval (Administrative Procedure I think they call it). He also told me that it was a simple formality that all non-Mexican applicants had to go thru.

Nonetheless, I received an email from the Consulate. I responded the questions (basically they asked me where I have been for the last 15 years). 24 hours after replying, I checked their online system and found that my visa had been approved. Quite smooth experience overall.

Just for the record, three years ago I applied for a tourist (B) visa in that same Consulate. That time they did ask for my Mexican residence card. I guess the visa applications as non-citizen depends on which kind of visa you're applying for.