MA in rhet comp- worth the debt?

Hey! So I've been accepted to my top choice MA program and should be hearing from my second choice within a week, which I'm positive I'll get into but I'm unsure what the funding situation will be like (this is UNC Greensboro, my undergrad institution, and 3 key department members were my recommenders, so in addition to my credentials that's where my perhaps naive certainty comes from). For my top choice (Syracuse U), I've been accepted but waitlisted as #2 for a TAship. I know the general advice is to not go into a PHD program in humanities without funding, but is this also generally recommended for an MA? I have only 8k of debt from undergrad, so that's a factor. I'm seriously considering doing the loan thing but I want some advice from yall please!

Honestly... I wouldn't do it. There are enough programs out there that do fund for MAs that I personally wouldn't accept an unfunded position. You don't want to add to your debt when you could have taken a funded position at a lesser known program (I say lesser known rather than lower ranked, since in Rhet/Comp ranking is so subjective). I'll share a few reasons why I wouldn't do it:

1. An MA from a top program is helpful when applying for PhD programs, but it is no guarantee that you'll be accepted into a PhD program (top or otherwise). I have witnessed first hand this season great applicants from top programs get no or few acceptances even though they went to a "top program." 
  2. Not having funding can hurt your overall performance. Will you do just as well in grad school if you have to take on more work? Will you attend conferences if you're having to pay out of pocket for them?
  3. Additional school debt can change your career path. I have friends who are not able to take a gap year because they can't afford to start paying their student debt. I know people who are having to accept their only offer instead of reapplying for this reason too. 
  4. You can't predict the job market. Rhet/comp does have more job openings than other fields, but there's no way to know 6 years down the line what the job market (or economy) will look like.
  5. You might change your mind. There are lots of folk who decide that academia isn't for them after going through their MA. There's nothing wrong with that, in fact that's why an MA is so great- it lets you test out grad school without the PhD committment, but once again- is the debt worth the risk?

I personally would wait it out and see if you get off the waitlist or get funded at the other program. MA funding isn't great, but any funding is better than no funding. Additionally, many people (lots of ppl on GC in fact) go to lesser known places for their MA and get into top programs for their PhD. If you don't end up with a funded offer you can always reapply the next year or  see if you can secure funding over the summer (then decline if you don't) sometimes funding opens up after April 15th. 

I will give the disclaimer though that this is coming from someone who has no college debt and will not be taking any on in my PhD, so maybe some people with more experience with loan repayment could weigh in on the pros/cons.

Do not, repeat do not do it.  

First of all, you will get so much out of teaching. I feel like teaching and being a student at the same time has almost been like a hazing process—it is hard but but I have learned so much I can’t even begin to explain it. The teaching has enhanced my learning and vice versa. I’ve had those lightbulb moments constantly since I started teaching.  A graduate teaching assistantship isn’t just about getting a free ride, it’s about what you learn while you’re doing it. 

Secondly, an MA from your ideal school does not mean you will  get into your ideal PhD program. I have gone to a small regional MA program, had a graduate teaching assistantship, and am  happy with my PhD acceptances so far.  People like me compete against people from more “exclusive”  schools and we do quite well. The name of the school or a vague perception that it is the “right” program is not as important as you may think. 

My two cents...

Edited by Daenerys

Thank you so much @renea, @mk-8, and @Daenerys! Seriously your input has helped me get my head straight about it and avoid a potentially huge mistake. I was already thinking this but was getting caught up in how good I think the program is, so a reality check is what I needed. Thank you!!!