Waitlisted...what do I do now?

Absurd'sTheWord

I applied to one school and found out yesterday I am on the waitlist.

What are the odds of getting moved up on a waitlist?

What should waitlisters do in the meantime?

What is the timetable? In other words, how long might this draw out?

Edited by FearNTrembling

I'm not sure there's much you can do. You were waitlisted at YDS right? I hope you get in and we can be classmates! However, you should be skeptical about the chances that people will reject Yale's offer, opening a spot. So, stay sane.

Here are some things that you can do.

1. Contact YDS and ask whether you are in the first waitlist group or the second (if they have more than one) and to honestly ask what your chances are. One person somewhere did this at another place and was told he was in the second group, so he knew his chances were slim.

2. Apply to any other schools. Certain schools may still be accepting applications and so you should submit immediately if you want other options. Some of the top schools still have applications open (just without promised scholarships). So if money isn't a huge factor, you may still get into a big school or you can pursue some smaller but respectable options elsewhere.

3. Pray. 

Otherwise, aside from this, I'm not sure what other options you have. Maybe request to interview with YDS to talk and explain your passion and situation? Don't know what else I can tell you. Good luck!