Does it look bad to request a deferral?

I was accepted to a great PhD program and am excited about going. However, I'd like to request a deferral for one year for various reasons: (1) I would like more time to save up extra money and pay off more of my undergrad loans, (2) for family reasons, my partner wouldn't be able to move with me until next year at the earliest, and (3) my job is going to be undergoing a big transition that I/my institutional knowledge would be pretty central to.

Of course, I could handle all of these things now (work really hard at saving up in the short term, loans would go into deferment while I'm in school, do LDR for a year, train a replacement, etc.), but having an extra year to get my affairs in order would really be beneficial for me to be in the best frame of mind before starting school.

The university does allow one year deferrals on a case-by-case basis, although ultimately it's the department's decision whether to allow it or not. I guess I'm afraid that (1) requesting a deferral will make me look bad to the department, and (2) that my reasons are not particularly compelling or life changing ones. What are your thoughts? Also would be helpful if anyone had advice on how to frame these points when requesting.

(1) You can't help / control that. Your own needs are more important than what the department thinks of you on this regard. If the school/department offers deferrals, it would be wrong of them to think poorly of students that take what is offered.

(2) All three of your reasons sound compelling to me and they are valid reasons for a deferral, in my opinion (not that my opinion matters to your department though!)