Can I afford New York city?

Hello everyone!

I am a Fulbright student from Colombia and  I have been accepted in the MFA photography in Parsons. I will have a stipend of 2,400 dollars per month, and even if I would really like NYC I want to stay with my feet on the ground and think about...MONEY. Is it realistic to live with this salary? My university is in Manhattan, and even though I am low maintenance I do like to go sometimes out and spend some money in social activities. 

THANK YOU! I've just been to the States once and your help will be SUPER appreciated.

Hello!!

I am a recent college grad and have been living in the city on and off for almost 5 years. I have never been a student in the city but currently work here full-time and live in Maspeth, Queens. 

I think 2,400 is a good amount for living. I have a room in a not so nice apartment I pay 700 a month for. If you get a cheap room like this you will be most likely to live a somewhat restricted life (for New York City) but it's possible. I would give it a go, congratulations on your acceptance!!