Bad taste to ask for more funding?

strawberrian

I have been offered a Dean's Award for the program I'm 99% sure I'll attend and it covers about 75% of tuition, making it fairly affordable overall. I am wondering if it's reasonable to ask for more if they've already offered me a significant amount in the form of an award. The one piece of "leverage" I have is that another program offered me a little bit more in terms of dollar amount but as a one time fellowship, so over the span of 2 years it's not as good of an offer. Is that dishonest to use that piece of information to ask the program I want to go to for more?

I hope that made sense, just curious about general etiquette as I will definitely be attending this program and don't want to start on the wrong foot! Thanks!

Edited by strawberrian

You can definitely tell the school your are deciding between the two because one school offered you more money. You can ask them to see if they'll match the offer, however, they will more than likely ask for the offer letter to determine whether or not you'll get an adjustment. Does your offer letter mention the fellowship?

11 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

You can definitely tell the school your are deciding between the two because one school offered you more money. You can ask them to see if they'll match the offer, however, they will more than likely ask for the offer letter to determine whether or not you'll get an adjustment. Does your offer letter mention the fellowship?

Well that’s where it feels like it could be shady, I have an offer letter from the other school and it mentions the fellowship and simply says $x amount to be divided amongst the semesters BUT that one is a 1 year program so it’s just one amount for 3 semesters. That is where my hesitation comes in, would it be okay to ask the school I’m interested in to match that fellowship amount per year. Feels like a weird grey area.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:47 PM, strawberrian said:

That is where my hesitation comes in, would it be okay to ask the school I’m interested in to match that fellowship amount per year. Feels like a weird grey area.

Realistically, what do you have to lose by asking?