Hunter MFA creative writing freak out

Gmaurer

It's comforting to know I'm not the only Poetry applicant in this situation, I submitted my Application in December and I have yet to hear anything either and I've seen nothing on here for Poetry yet, just Nonfiction and Fiction. I called the advisor Mr. Packard a while back and was put to voicemail. I also sent an E-mail to him with no reply as well. Hunter was the only school I applied to for Fall 2018, so I empathize with you on this, and hopefully we hear the answer we're looking for soon...

On 3/26/2018 at 11:29 AM, I.Macks said:

Hunter was the only school I applied to for Fall 2018, so I empathize with you on this, and hopefully we hear the answer we're looking for soon...

I'm curious to know, why did you only apply to one program? I applied to relatively few, 4 programs (I've seen posters who report having applied to as many as 17) because I only applied to the schools I knew I would seriously go to. But applying to one is considerably risky!

14 hours ago, oonalaine said:

I'm curious to know, why did you only apply to one program? I applied to relatively few, 4 programs (I've seen posters who report having applied to as many as 17) because I only applied to the schools I knew I would seriously go to. But applying to one is considerably risky!

The reason behind it was behind I hadn't really considered applying to any for Fall 2018, I haven't taken the GRE yet so that kind of limited my scope, I had planned to apply to UBC as well as Hunter, but Hunter was the most feasible and felt like the program that I had the best shot at getting into. My mother is an alumna, I'm from New York so I'd get full funding if I were accepted, and it's in a part of NYC that I see myself being in and achieving my best as a student and writer. 

It is risky indeed, but a colleague of mine only applied to SUNY Purchase, which he was accepted to, so to each their own, and Hunter is the only place I'd seriously go to at this juncture in my life...

1 hour ago, I.Macks said:

I'm from New York so I'd get full funding if I were accepted, and it's in a part of NYC that I see myself being in and achieving my best as a student and writer. 

I hear you, the other CUNYs with MFA programs are in Queens and Brooklyn - you may not see yourself there. Hunter also has an amazing faculty.

Incidentally, the person who reported having applied to 17 programs was declined at every one! That is one enormous price tag in application fees for something they were evidently not ready for.

All the best!