Decisions MPP: LBJ vs Evans vs McCourt vs SPA vs Harris

PolicyPol

Hello, 

like many of you, I'm freaking out about my decisions. I'm coming from undergrad, and am under financial stress. I'm also an intl student, and want to work on a PhD later on in sociology/policy regarding poverty. 

Here are my options:

-LBJ MPP (full funding)

-Harris MPP (0, but negotiating)

-Evans MPA (60%)

-American U SPA MPP (60%)

-McCourt MPP (40%)

Please help!!! 

14 hours ago, diyadeb said:

Hey, 

I got a full ride at LBJ too. What's your background?

I'm finishing my undergrad in a small school in the US and majored in humanities and Econ. I'm broadly interested in social policy and have a couple of publications in urban policy, but idk what I really want to focus on. Ultimately, I would like to get a PhD in policy or sociology and do research (I think...). But I may work a couple of years after the masters. Thus, international reputation and research opportunities are important, but funding too.

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2018 at 4:01 PM, PolicyPol said:

Hello, 

like many of you, I'm freaking out about my decisions. I'm coming from undergrad, and am under financial stress. I'm also an intl student, and want to work on a PhD later on in sociology/policy regarding poverty. 

Here are my options:

-LBJ MPP (full funding)

-Harris MPP (0, but negotiating)

-Evans MPA (60%)

-American U SPA MPP (60%)

-McCourt MPP (40%)

Please help!!! 

Unless you have an outstanding personal reason to be geographically near one of the schools, LBJ MPP is a no brainer. You are coming out with no tuition debt + it is a great program for both applied + academic MPP + prestige + range of career options. 

If you had more funding at Harris, I think you can raise an argument, but you don't. SPA really doesn't have that much brand equity. McCourt has a great brand and good programming, but it has an awkward culture and overall management struggles. I would cross out Evans unless you really want to end up in the West Coast (regional pull).