University of Chicago Latin American & Caribbean Studies vs Hunter CUNY Art History

sol.sheri

Hello!

I'm hoping someone out there can help me make a solid decision about which graduate program to enroll in. I was recently offered admission into these two programs:

University of Chicago, MA, Latin American & Caribbean Studies (Art History focus); 1 year program; ~8 students

Hunter College CUNY, MA, Art History (Latin American focus); ~2 year program; ~100 students; part-time or full-time

I hope to (eventually) pursue a fully-funded PhD program in Latin American art history. I have contacted professors at the schools I hope to apply to for PhD programs and they have valid points in promoting either program. This is why I'm torn between the two. They are about equal in cost (considering scholarships and living expenses in Chicago vs NY). However, I would be able to work full-time while attending Hunter. I have heard amazing things about the art history program and placements at Hunter, but I think it might also be due to the fact that they produce a greater quantity of students. The University of Chicago has a great name, but because the LACS program is small, I'm finding it difficult to speak to alumni. UofC seems incredibly supportive of its students and the campus life seems to be really rich - which I imagine to be a hard thing to achieve with a larger group of commuter students at Hunter. 

I'm hoping some of you veterans out there will have insight on this dilemma. Which do you think would provide better preparation for PhD applications/placements? Is a 2 year program always better than a 1 year MA? Is an MA in Latin American & Caribbean Studies (with a focus in art history) just as respected as an Art History MA? Do you recommend one school over another?

• 3 years later...

What did you decide? I just got accepted into Hunter and I too wish to focus in Contemporary Latin American Art. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools, though.