2 Questions

So I've gotten into two schools (Berkeley and UCSD) and I'm still torn as to which school I should actually go to.

After talking numerous professors and students, I've gotten the distinct impression that the question pretty much comes down to resources vs. mentoring (or, as my roommate puts it, the library vs. professor question).

Berkeley has a lot more resources (in terms of finances and library resources), a lot more prestige, and has amazing faculty and brilliant students from all different history subfields that would give me a real opportunity to do some fantastic interdisciplinary work if I should ever have the urge. However, the faculty for Chinese history is going through some generational changes. Of the two professors I am interested in working with, one is middle-aged and doesn't do particularly interesting work, and the other is very young, but his work seems fascinating and very cutting-edge. Problem is . . . will he still be around when I'm actually writing my dissertation?

UCSD on the other hand seems to offer a lot in terms of mentoring. Their training in my specific subfield (Chinese history) is really top-notch and seems a lot more effective than Berkeley's. Their students have recently been receiving a lot of recognition (this year they're 3/3 in terms of Fulbrights and a grad from 2008 is now an assistant professor at Oxford). The faculty is also amazing, and one professor in particular is REALLY famous. However, with the exception of the Chinese history subfield, the rest of the department does not seem very strong. Also, there's the problem of less resources. They've offered what I think is a reasonable fellowship . . . but Berkeley's still offering me a lot more.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful!

Also, is there any good way to ask a professor either when he/she's going to retire or whether he/she has plans to move on to another school in the near future? I kind of need to know to make my decision . . . but I'm struggling to find a way to word the questions that doesn't seem rude.

Thanks!!!

Also, is there any good way to ask a professor either when he/she's going to retire or whether he/she has plans to move on to another school in the near future? I kind of need to know to make my decision . . . but I'm struggling to find a way to word the questions that doesn't seem rude.

I actually had a PA assure me, unprompted, that even though he's old, he'll still be around for my dissertation rolleyes.gif I think this is something profs are aware of as an issue, and I don't think any would feel insulted by you asking. Just phrase it politely, like, "I'm really excited about the opportunity to work with you, but I wanted to make sure that you're planning to stay with the department long enough to advise my dissertation" or something.

Thanks! Yeah, I think in my heart I want to go to UCSD. I literally like everything else about Berkeley (the resources, the money, the location, the prestige) more than UCSD, but isn't having a great support base for your research the most important thing? And there's always the Inter-Library Loan . . . but what about the money? Lol, and now I'm back where I started.

Are you taking cost of living into consideration here? Sure, Berkeley might be offering more, but doesn't it cost more to live in the bay area than it does in San Diego?

Use this to check out the difference in cost of living:

http://www.bestplace...ol/default.aspx

Thanks for the site! That's really great! Although according to the site I'm still getting more money at Berkeley, even though the cost of living is higher.

Thanks!!!

You just ask. They understand why you're asking so ask. As always, be polite. And, if you're asking about the younger prof, ask if s/he would take students with him/her if/when s/he leaves the university.