UChicagos MAPSS Program?

Anthro14

So I got rejected from Uchicagos Anth PhD program... but within my rejection letter I was accepted to a weird MAPSS (Masters of Arts Program in Social Sciences) program that I had never applied to. Anyone else get this email? Whats the deal? Anyone considering it?

So I got rejected from Uchicagos Anth PhD program... but within my rejection letter I was accepted to a weird MAPSS (Masters of Arts Program in Social Sciences) program that I had never applied to. Anyone else get this email? Whats the deal? Anyone considering it?

yea. Who knows how to feel about that email. I got it as well, even with a scholarship, however I can't help but feel like the subtext of the program is "oh, so close, yet so far."

so, people will call it a 'cash cow' program (ie meant to generate money for the social science division, to possibly fund phd students, to which you and I are not), but the question if we/you should do the program revovles around 1. The goals of your degree (will you go for a phd next year, and what type of program prestige are you looking for) and 2. The shortcomings in your current application.

For me, my GPA is low (below a 3.5), I do not have a background in anthropology, and I do not hold a masters degree. For an applicant like myself, it MIGHT benefit my application with a proven degree of academic success (eg a +3.5 GPA in a masters, with one more letter of rec).

However, I gotta be honest. Funding is crap this year, and a lot of qualified people are being rejected left and right. Is funding going to be better next year? I wouldn't count on it. I'm 50/50 regarding the Chicago MA, but I got into a PhD program fully funded. so...it's very likely that I'll take the phd offer.

What about you?

yea. Who knows how to feel about that email. I got it as well, even with a scholarship, however I can't help but feel like the subtext of the program is "oh, so close, yet so far."

so, people will call it a 'cash cow' program (ie meant to generate money for the social science division, to possibly fund phd students, to which you and I are not), but the question if we/you should do the program revovles around 1. The goals of your degree (will you go for a phd next year, and what type of program prestige are you looking for) and 2. The shortcomings in your current application.

For me, my GPA is low (below a 3.5), I do not have a background in anthropology, and I do not hold a masters degree. For an applicant like myself, it MIGHT benefit my application with a proven degree of academic success (eg a +3.5 GPA in a masters, with one more letter of rec).

However, I gotta be honest. Funding is crap this year, and a lot of qualified people are being rejected left and right. Is funding going to be better next year? I wouldn't count on it. I'm 50/50 regarding the Chicago MA, but I got into a PhD program fully funded. so...it's very likely that I'll take the phd offer.

What about you?

Yeah, I got rejected from Chicago, but got accepted to this as well. Applied to six places, got rejected by two (three if you count Chicago), and waiting to hear back from Michigan (I know this is most likely a rejection). I am waiting to hear back formally from Rice, which was my top choice (because of the people there I wanted to work with); according to a person of interest, I am the first on their waiting list, and am supposed to hear from them as soon as a spot opens-so here is hoping.

I got accepted to Davis, which was my backup, but I've yet to hear funding from them. So basically, I'm here praying about Rice, waiting to hear about funding from Davis, and thinking about the MAPSS Program.

The benefit of MAPSS is the school, and the fact I can work with faculty in the Anthropology department.

As a candidate, I'm in a weird boat. My undergraduate GPA was pretty good, but I was all over the map in my intellectual interests, and that probably was reflected in my statement of purpose. I lack a masters degree, so MAPSS could be beneficial in that way. The reason my interests are running wild, is because I was a triple major in History, Classics, and Anthropology... Because of that, I was going to apply to Medieval History programs for the longest time, but decided against it, since I was thinking about future research interests, and methodologies, and honestly Anthropology suits me a lot better.

My letters of recommendation were not weak, but I cold get a new letter of recommendation from a professor at Chicago should I do MAPSS, and I could strengthen my application for next year, when I would reapply for doctoral programs, this time changing a few schools around.

Basically everything is contingent upon funding from Davis, and from hearing back (hopefully good news) from Rice.

In the same boat as you, eempey, except I'm pursuing a PhD in 20th-century US history.

I got into my backup plan (Temple--a superb faculty match) with a great funding package/hefty stipend, but I just got the nod from MAPSS folks today. While my applications/recs/scores were all competitive, I was a PoliSci major and a History minor; I can see why Chicago thinks I'm best suited for this probationary MA experience.

My question to y'all--what's the reputation of this MA? Is it merely a cash cow that helps to fund the current PhD students? With strong grades and an additional rec, will it bolster my application come next year? Or is it simply intended for terminal MAs who are looking for public sector/social work type positions, as suggested per the UC MAPSS website?

And most importantly: am I falling for Chicago just because they've deigned to accept me (at least in part) after I was flatly turned away by six other schools? Maybe Chicago's trying to prey on us beleaguered PhD applicants, desperate for approval after a string of rejections. Dunno.

I fall into the same category as most who posted here. My background is Lx (BA,MA) and hence I can understand how I was referred to MAPSS from the Anthropology PhD program. I have a high GPA (3.93) from a prestigious private university and a strong research background. However, my application definitely was weak in Anthro preparation and I lacked LORs from within that field (although well-known in Lx).

I've also been accepted to a few PhD programs although not in Anthropology. Still, I am considering MAPSS as a way to get my foot into the door. To be honest, if I hadn't been offered full tuition to MAPSS, I wouldn't even consider it as I'm not keen on taking out student loans to acquire another MA.

Indeed, MAPSS alumni do seem to have a high success rate for being accepted to top Anthropology Phd programs with funding. I'd also hope that the merits of my application to U Chicago Anthropology would improve after taking courses from within the department.

Luckily, the deadline for accepting the MAPSS offer isn't until May. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone going to Open Days in April?

I fall into the same category as most who posted here. My background is Lx (BA,MA) and hence I can understand how I was referred to MAPSS from the Anthropology PhD program. I have a high GPA (3.93) from a prestigious private university and a strong research background. However, my application definitely was weak in Anthro preparation and I lacked LORs from within that field (although well-known in Lx).

I've also been accepted to a few PhD programs although not in Anthropology. Still, I am considering MAPSS as a way to get my foot into the door. To be honest, if I hadn't been offered full tuition to MAPSS, I wouldn't even consider it as I'm not keen on taking out student loans to acquire another MA.

Indeed, MAPSS alumni do seem to have a high success rate for being accepted to top Anthropology Phd programs with funding. I'd also hope that the merits of my application to U Chicago Anthropology would improve after taking courses from within the department.

Luckily, the deadline for accepting the MAPSS offer isn't until May. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone going to Open Days in April?

dude. seriously. we gotta PM about SOAS. it's a bomb ass place in regards to islamic law.

hit me up.

I got into MAPSS (Deferred from the Committee on Social Thought) and was very seriously considering (1/3 tuition) it but I just was accepted to my UGrad institution PhD program with full funding and a stipend (and its a pretty renowned dept, certainly in my focus) so I'm going to be accepting that. I talked about MAPSS's reputation with some people here and they said, at least in anthro, the students do pretty well for themselves afterwards, but I'm going to go straight for the doctorate.

I got into MAPSS (Deferred from the Committee on Social Thought) and was very seriously considering (1/3 tuition) it but I just was accepted to my UGrad institution PhD program with full funding and a stipend (and its a pretty renowned dept, certainly in my focus) so I'm going to be accepting that. I talked about MAPSS's reputation with some people here and they said, at least in anthro, the students do pretty well for themselves afterwards, but I'm going to go straight for the doctorate.

Yeah, same here, but I got offered 2/3rds tuition. I just got accepted from Rice, with funding (not sure how much, individual said I would get mail in the next week). So I have the option of MAPSS (which I will consider if I truly hate Rice upon visiting, though I fail to see that happening), Davis (with no guarantee of funding, whooo) and Rice (with funding).

I sent an email to George Marcus yesterday, who was one of my letter writers, to keep him posted on what was going on, and ask if he knew anything about MAPSS. He said the following: "Chicago masters is not a bad deal. We get some of our best grad students from this Program." So for those who are shunning MAPSS, keep this in mind.

hi,

I graduated from MAPSS last year (fall 2009) and I have to say that I am thoroughly satisfied with the program. Like many of you/us, I applied to Uchicago PhD in anthro, but was turned down and referred to MAPSS (opening a big envelope with both rejections and acceptance letters was hilarious by the way). So, like many of you, I never heard of MAPSS and, quite frankly, thought the name sounded hokey-pokey. They gave me money, so that nudged me to visit them. They gave me some crazy numbers on where their alum go after graduation. John MacAloon, director of the program, stated "last year [2007], of the applications that I supported, 20 out of 23 were accepted to PhD programs with full funding and those that did not pursue further degrees were employed 6 mos after graduation (with many of them "very satisfied" with their employment). Moreover, my gf [still at uchicago] over heard a prof in the anthro dept stating "we hold about up to 80% of spots for MAPSS students for our PhD program." Anyways, when I heard MacAloon spit all this out I first thought it was bs, but this was quashed quickly when I consulted with my undergrad advisors (one was an alum from the 60's and was accepted to uchicago PhD anthro after completing MAPPS and the other kept saying that the intellectual atmosphere runs deep (which is very, very true), while the grad advisor told me that they receive and accept many MAPSS students). I committed soon after the visit and, after many sleepless nights and stressful days, I am now apart of MAPSS' wonderful numbers. As of now, I have been accepted, with full funding, to a PhD in anthro and, after just month from graduation, while still in a recession, I was offered a very, very nice job. Now, of course, this is my unique experience but, then again, I do not think my outcome is unique at all. Since MAPSS breaks up its cohort by focus (anthro, psych, sociology, poli sci, history), you stay with the same people throughout the year. Anyways, 2 in my anthro group, that were applying to PhD's in Anthro, were not only accepted to fully funded PhD programs, but they were accepted to multiple, all top 15 (UCLA, NYU, EMORY, CHICAGO, UCSD, ETC). My old roomate, also in my cohort but in a different group, is in another program at Chicago, with funding, and is loving it. Another buddy in the same cohort, different group, is going to law school. So if you were accepted with funding, any funding (which is rare, so you should consider yourself lucky!), I would seriously consider this program. Sure it can be dogmatic at times, but if you listen to them and use their resources, then I am sure you will be quite satisfied with your results. I happy to give you more specifics/details, just pm me. just my 2 cents.

Hello Friends,

I wanted to add my 2 cents as well.

I am an undergrad at a top ten department of social anthro, and am graduating this May. I applied unsuccessfully to 3 phd programs, but was accepted to MAPSS on a full scholarship. I do not think that I have a strong enough record atm for a phd program, and my SOP needed more work. I have a high anthro gpa, good letters of rec, and a mediocre GRE.

I was encouraged by my advisor to apply to mapss because it has such a strong record in our own department, as we have many mapss students here.

I did not intend on going to this program even if I got in because of its cost. I am going because it is full tuition. I am happy with the decision because I dont want to flounder in my first year of a phd prgram because I dont have my bearings for grad school, and I want to cover the theoretical holes in my ug training, as well as hone in more closely on my own research interests.

At the moment, I plan to retake the GRE in the summer and prepare to apply for fall 2011.

Yeah its a cash cow for the university, and to pay the full amount is unreasonable for most. But it also seems to me to be the most reputable MA program for anthro.

So, I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight about my situation. I am waitlisted for the U of C Anthropology doctoral program, but I know there's only a tiny chance of that working out. I would be delighted to enroll in MAPSS instead if I was offered a full tuition waiver as some of you referred candidates have been. However, since I may literally not know for sure about the PhD waitlist until April 15, I am worried that all of the decisions/spots/funding for MAPSS may already be figured out and I would not have that opportunity. I also know that the MAPSS spot and funding is offered, not asked for, since I didn't apply directly to the program. Anyone have any idea what my chances could be, or should I just give up hope on the possibility now? Thanks!

Just a question, what is U of C? If you are refering to the University of California, which one have you been shortlisted for?

For example, I am going to decline an offer from UCSD next week and it might open a spot for someone on the waitlist, but they didn't give me any funding, so I'm not sure that the next person would consider it...

My advice would be to call the program you are waiting to hear from, ask them about your position on the waitlist and what the funding would be like for people on the waitlist... You should also ask the MAPSS program if they can keep their offer for you a bit longer, why not try?

I was visiting a school this weekend and there was one grad from the MAPSS, she seemed very happy about the training there and she was a very interesting person!

Good luck with your decisions!

So, I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight about my situation. I am waitlisted for the U of C Anthropology doctoral program, but I know there's only a tiny chance of that working out. I would be delighted to enroll in MAPSS instead if I was offered a full tuition waiver as some of you referred candidates have been. However, since I may literally not know for sure about the PhD waitlist until April 15, I am worried that all of the decisions/spots/funding for MAPSS may already be figured out and I would not have that opportunity. I also know that the MAPSS spot and funding is offered, not asked for, since I didn't apply directly to the program. Anyone have any idea what my chances could be, or should I just give up hope on the possibility now? Thanks!

Just a question, what is U of C? If you are refering to the University of California, which one have you been shortlisted for?

I think they mean University of Chicago. Which I've also seen abbreviated UChicago.

• 2 weeks later...

What about you?

I am really struggling with this too because I got into a PhD fully funded (it is not highly ranks, but not a bad choice since interest align :).

I am wondering if I am crazy to give that up to work with a professor at the University of Chicago I really love that said she could work with me for the MAPSS and increase my chances at a top 15 school or even just a top 50 school. I just don't want to eliminate my chances to work at a nice University or get a professors job after my PhD because I didn't want to risk waiting a year to get a higher GRE (I took it once with a 580 in Math and 630 in English) and a 1 year MA. I got the 1/3 scholarship, but I would still go in debt. Hmm... What have you decided? (You sound confident about the PhD).

Are there anyone's thoughts on my situation or going through the same things and who would like to share with my how you are weighing your decision. I just want to commit if I take the PhD and not have a grass is greener mentality throughout my PhD.

I also heard that transferring or reapplying to PhD after a year in another program is not a good idea. I don't want to do the PhD wanting something more, and feel trapped if it doesn't fit me as well as another potential school (that is school rank aside). Thoughts?

i just declined admissions the other day. Decided id much rather go to Columbia than wait it out and MAYBE get into Uchicagos program next year.

yea, but its the special joint PhD (Anthropology and Education), so we probably hear back at a different time than the regular Anth PhD people