So you got into Columbia...now what?

annie a

Hi,

I know discussing Columbia's huge price tag is a very common conversation thread here, but I thought it might be a good time to share our thoughts and strategies on how to make it happen...or even if it's worth it?

Anyway, I am very much on the cusp! I suppose all we can really do for now is wait on financial aid/loan info that is to come in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway - congrats to all who got admitted!

Hi Annie,

I also found out today that I got in, and it was a huge (and immensely pleasant!) surprise. I have no idea how I will pay for it. I'm waiting to hear from VCU, which, as a VA resident, will be a bazillionth of the price (and has a legendary MSW program).

So I'm with you in solidarity, but without answers. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they offer me in terms of money. Have you checked out the housing website yet?

I lucked out/didn't luck out in that my cheap back-up option (University of Pittsburgh) gave me a horrible financial aid package of $1000/year. That means that no matter what, I'm looking at tens of thousands of dollars for grad school. I like to think of it as a blessing in disguise. I really didn't want to live in Pittsburgh and NYC is better for my husband's career anyhow. NYU gave me a decent financial aid package but I'd much rather go to Columbia.

I'm not really sure what any of us *can* do to make Columbia more affordable. We're all pretty much guaranteed $4,400 in work study for our field placement work and $20,500 in stafford loans. RA and TA positions are extremely difficult to come by and aside from working part time, loans are the only option. My understanding is that their scholarships are scarce and typically around $4k. I may defer for a year to work and save money?

Congrats to everyone, though! Hopefully we'll all hit the lottery and attend together in the fall :).

On 3/6/2010 at 4:52 PM, lsh37421 said:

I'm excited about getting into Columbia. It just sucks that they give so little in fin aid. WashU's package is great, and Michigan's is pretty good, but Columbia not so much.

Congrats on all the acceptances! You'd think that with their $5 billion endowment, Columbia could afford to throw some more money toward social work students.

Well done on your funding packages from Michigan and WashU! I can't imagine turning down big scholarships from schools that consistently outrank Columbia anyhow.

Hi - all and congrats again.

Well, Columbia is the only school I applied to for its strength in policy practice and international focus - so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go into debt for something that will clearly benefit throughout my career and I've got quite a few years ahead of me! Any thoughts? Do you think there is an element logic to this?

Hi - all and congrats again.

Well, Columbia is the only school I applied to for its strength in policy practice and international focus - so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go into debt for something that will clearly benefit throughout my career and I've got quite a few years ahead of me! Any thoughts? Do you think there is an element logic to this?

I'm really excited about the international concentration. I'm visiting this week and hope to find out more about it. I feel like the debt is worth it if I decide to do something really unusual (like the international focus); if I really feel that I just want to go the traditional child/family concentration (as I thought when I had no idea I'd actually get in to Columbia), I'll probably choose somewhere more affordable. But this really is a fantastic opportunity. Can you tell I'm excited?!?!?? :)

Are both of you international students? Their website is a little confusing and I can't tell if it says you have to be from another country in order to qualify for the international social welfare field of practice or not. The placement of the "and" and "or" is throwing me off.

"The prerequisites for the International Social Welfare field of practice are that students must have at least nine months (non-consecutive) of social work type experience overseas, be from another country and have worked in this capacity within the U.S., or have worked within the U.S. with immigrants, refugees and internally displaced persons. Written and verbal proficiency in a second language is preferred."

Are both of you international students? Their website is a little confusing and I can't tell if it says you have to be from another country in order to qualify for the international social welfare field of practice or not. The placement of the "and" and "or" is throwing me off.

"The prerequisites for the International Social Welfare field of practice are that students must have at least nine months (non-consecutive) of social work type experience overseas, be from another country and have worked in this capacity within the U.S., or have worked within the U.S. with immigrants, refugees and internally displaced persons. Written and verbal proficiency in a second language is preferred."

Yeah, I'm interested in this focus for the MSW at Columbia, too. I think that you don't have to be from another country. They just want you to have worked with immigrants, refugees, etc. in some capacity. I guess, to put it simply, they want you to have worked with people other than American-born citizens.

Yeah, I'm interested in this focus for the MSW at Columbia, too. I think that you don't have to be from another country. They just want you to have worked with immigrants, refugees, etc. in some capacity. I guess, to put it simply, they want you to have worked with people other than American-born citizens.

Hi all,

I am not an international student but have spent the past three years living and working with Burmese refugees in Thailand, so perhaps this will be sufficient experience? However, my understanding is that you have to apply for your concentration into your first year - does anyone have a greater understanding about this?

Also, if you applied for the policy track and if at some point during your first year you change your mind and decided to go clinical you can switch, correct?

Anyway - about funding - I really, really do not want to take out private loans but does everyone have to do this? I am pretty set on attending on Columbia but am waiting for my financial aid letter before I send in my $400. Anyone else waiting or, if you have decided on Columbia, are you just going ahead and securing your place with a deposit? A lot of questions, I know...just feeling a tad lost at this point about how to approach this funding issue! Thanks a lot all...

Edited by annie a

Hi all,

I am not an international student but have spent the past three years living and working with Burmese refugees in Thailand, so perhaps this will be sufficient experience? However, my understanding is that you have to apply for your concentration into your first year - does anyone have a greater understanding about this?

Also, if you applied for the policy track and if at some point during your first year you change your mind and decided to go clinical you can switch, correct?

Anyway - about funding - I really, really do not want to take out private loans but does everyone have to do this? I am pretty set on attending on Columbia but am waiting for my financial aid letter before I send in my $400. Anyone else waiting or, if you have decided on Columbia, are you just going ahead and securing your place with a deposit? A lot of questions, I know...just feeling a tad lost at this point about how to approach this funding issue! Thanks a lot all...

I think you guys are right about the international focus, I just wanted to make sure. I've spent hours on their website and my understanding is that we don't have to decide on a concentration until the second year. The first year curriculum for all 2 year students is identical. I'd imagine they'd let you switch between clinical and policy, though it may take longer to get the degree then.

I called them with a few quick questions the other day and was told funding should be out in the next 2 weeks, if not sooner. I'm still undecided between NYU, Columbia, Oxford and taking a year off but I'm not sending anyone a deposit until I know what the final figure is. Columbia offer loans at a 5% interest rate, which is lower than a lot of federal loans, so that might be an option. And apparently Columbia's grad housing is amazing and inexpensive (for NYC, anyways) so you have that going for you too.

Hi all,

It sounds like you have more than sufficient experience to do this concentration!

I read up a bit about this concentration on the website on dual degrees between SIPA and CUSSW and from what I remember, I believe we need to send in an application at some point. Here's what it said:

"International Social Welfare and Services to Immigrants and Refugees:

Global social problems, international trends in social policies and programs including response to disasters, needs of immigrants and refugees, and community development; and activities of major international organizations and voluntary agencies. Students who select this field must have at least 9 months experience working, volunteering or interning outside of the students’ country of origin; or primarily with immigrants and refugees in this county. A written application that includes information about experience outside of country of origin, and anticipated skills and goals is required. Enrollment is limited and preference in acceptance will be given to those fluent in a second language."

I'm curious about when this is due as well. But it seems that for both this and our track, I don't think we are "stuck" in our choices until our second year. From what the interactive curriculum map shows, our first year, we just take general foundation courses and then during our second year, we take courses for our specializations.

I just sent in my $400 deposit today. EEK! I thought long and hard about it and talked to friends, family, and colleagues in the field. It seems that a lot of the ppl I've talked to think that going to Columbia will be worth it since it seems to have the program, resources, and environment that I'm looking for. I know I plan to do work in non-profit organizations or public service, for sure, so I'm thinking the loan forgiveness program will be the road I'm taking in order to pay off the loans, which will take 10 years, according to the website.

I did some investigation and hopefully, I'll be taking on average, 15 credits per semester, so it will come out to about $26,000 per year? And the semesters when we do field education will also lessen the tuition dent because those "courses" will be worth 7 or so points (at least for the clinical route). I think that the estimate they provide on the admissions page may be a bit inflated. On this webpage (http://www.socialwork.columbia.edu/bulletin/2009-2010/10enrol.html#fees), the tuition calculation per credit is $928. Unless you're taking 19 units every semester, that's only when it reaches the annual tuition estimate of $34,000 that they give. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did some investigation and hopefully, I'll be taking on average, 15 credits per semester, so it will come out to about $26,000 per year? And the semesters when we do field education will also lessen the tuition dent because those "courses" will be worth 7 or so points (at least for the clinical route). I think that the estimate they provide on the admissions page may be a bit inflated. On this webpage (http://www.socialwork.columbia.edu/bulletin/2009-2010/10enrol.html#fees), the tuition calculation per credit is $928. Unless you're taking 19 units every semester, that's only when it reaches the annual tuition estimate of $34,000 that they give. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the admitted students website says the social work program operates on a flat-rate tuition and not a credit by credit fee. Tuition will definitely be ~$33k/year. I looked into taking some summer classes at a state university to save a few grand and was told that it won't make a difference financially, it would just give me more room for electives. Congrats on sending in your deposit though! Have you heard about your overall financial aid package yet?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the admitted students website says the social work program operates on a flat-rate tuition and not a credit by credit fee. Tuition will definitely be ~$33k/year. I looked into taking some summer classes at a state university to save a few grand and was told that it won't make a difference financially, it would just give me more room for electives. Congrats on sending in your deposit though! Have you heard about your overall financial aid package yet?

Aw, what a bummer. Thank you for clarifying that.

No, I haven't heard about my financial aid package yet. I'm cringing at the thought of how little they are most likely going to give me. But this seems like the best plan for me right now since the company I've been working for is planning to lay off a lot of people soon (me more than likely included). And Columbia's MSW program has been one of the only programs that's really captured my interest so far!

Aw, what a bummer. Thank you for clarifying that.

No, I haven't heard about my financial aid package yet. I'm cringing at the thought of how little they are most likely going to give me. But this seems like the best plan for me right now since the company I've been working for is planning to lay off a lot of people soon (me more than likely included). And Columbia's MSW program has been one of the only programs that's really captured my interest so far!

I haven't heard yet, either, and I don't look forward to finding out how little aid I'll be receiving. However, I visited on Friday and was really impressed with the building, people and program. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but Columbia has been and still is my first choice. The price takes my breath away, but I really feel like the education is worth it.

I haven't heard yet, either, and I don't look forward to finding out how little aid I'll be receiving. However, I visited on Friday and was really impressed with the building, people and program. I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but Columbia has been and still is my first choice. The price takes my breath away, but I really feel like the education is worth it.

Indeed - I am not looking forward to that letter stating the tiny aid amount either!

But I now have new concern! I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought the internship was limited to the second year and now feel very discouraged that we have to do one both years. This makes working part-time for pay seem totally unfeasible!

What do you think? Also, do we have any say in our first year internship? Or do they just plop us down at any random agency? I feel like I am losing hope in this "dream" I had! Or perhaps I was just idealizing the situation.

Well, not to be a bummer. I'm sure it will work out splendidly for all of these who put their heart into it.

Edited by annie a

Indeed - I am not looking forward to that letter stating the tiny aid amount either!

But I now have new concern! I don't know what I was thinking, but I thought the internship was limited to the second year and now feel very discouraged that we have to do one both years. This makes working part-time for pay seem totally unfeasible!

What do you think? Also, do we have any say in our first year internship? Or do they just plop us down at any random agency? I feel like I am losing hope in this "dream" I had! Or perhaps I was just idealizing the situation.

Well, not to be a bummer. I'm sure it will work out splendidly for all of these who put their heart into it.

According to the admissions person who gave the info session, the field work is a little in between what you said - you don't get to choose, but it isn't random, either. The school puts a lot of time and effort into selecting a good match for you (based on a field placement form). Every student has a mentor on-site who can help with any problems/concerns. If it really isn't a good fit you will be moved.

I don't know if you can change this now, but if you live in the NY area and you already work in a social work setting, perhaps the reduced residency option would be a better fit? I would definitely direct your questions to the admissions office (or go visit if you are nearby - so worth it).

Anyone else get a call from a Columbia student recently? I got a call this morning from a current student and thought it was nice that they are reaching out to accepted students. She did say a few things that shocked me though. I've also been in contact with a few PhD students at Columbia and I've heard some surprisingly negative things about the MSW program.

I say this not to criticize those who want to go there, but to make those who can't afford it or are thinking of applying to other programs next year feel a little better about their decision. I've heard many current/former students that the MSW at Columbia is becoming a "money-making scheme." Two years ago, their incoming class was 200. This past year it was 400! They're expecting to admit around 600 this year. Apparently the program is becoming less and less selective because they know people will "buy" the Columbia name. Class sizes are very large for the first year and a lot of papers are graded by TAs instead of professors.

These could all be nasty rumors from disgruntled students and completely unfounded. And I truly wish those of you who are attending Columbia the very best! There is no doubt that they are a well-connected university and one of the few that have the international focus many of you are considering. I just thought I'd throw out some of the information I'd heard in case it helps anyone here make a decision. Good luck to all!

Just found out yesterday I got in. Very exciting buy after reading this page it looks like the price tag is pretty much set at 33k. Had my hunter interview and hopeful acceptance. Anybody have any information about hunter's program? Besides that it's almost 75 percent cheaper! Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Good luck on funding!!

Anyone else get a call from a Columbia student recently? I got a call this morning from a current student and thought it was nice that they are reaching out to accepted students. She did say a few things that shocked me though. I've also been in contact with a few PhD students at Columbia and I've heard some surprisingly negative things about the MSW program.

I say this not to criticize those who want to go there, but to make those who can't afford it or are thinking of applying to other programs next year feel a little better about their decision. I've heard many current/former students that the MSW at Columbia is becoming a "money-making scheme." Two years ago, their incoming class was 200. This past year it was 400! They're expecting to admit around 600 this year. Apparently the program is becoming less and less selective because they know people will "buy" the Columbia name. Class sizes are very large for the first year and a lot of papers are graded by TAs instead of professors.

These could all be nasty rumors from disgruntled students and completely unfounded. And I truly wish those of you who are attending Columbia the very best! There is no doubt that they are a well-connected university and one of the few that have the international focus many of you are considering. I just thought I'd throw out some of the information I'd heard in case it helps anyone here make a decision. Good luck to all!

That's disappointing to hear. Schools seem to be increasingly short on money to pay for resources and are using student fees to pay. Makes me feel even more anxious and apprehensive about my financial aid package. I'm seeing some SIPA students receive pretty decent fellowships, though. I read somewhere in this forum that someone got 20k per year? I'm a little hopeful but not expecting a miracle.

As for the large class size, for me, I went to a large public university, so I don't mind that too much. I think that it also makes some sense, since so many people are losing their jobs or are being relegated to work that they are not satisfied with (such is the case with me). Many are opting to go back to school instead of working. I hope that the increase doesn't represent a lower standard in admission and program quality but rather a solution to the higher number of grad school applicants that are qualified.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what current/former students have to say about the program, both negative and positives. I can't deny that part of my decision to attend Columbia was the name part. However, from at least some of what I've read, the program quality does live up to the prestige of the name. It seems that a lot of dissatisfaction stems from field placement. I hope that I don't wind up in that position!

Thank you, TerriM, for sharing this info. It must have been exciting to receive that phone call! And congratulations on your decision to attend Oxford! You're going to get an amazing education there.

Edited by emoleys

That's disappointing to hear. Schools seem to be increasingly short on money to pay for resources and are using student fees to pay. Makes me feel even more anxious and apprehensive about my financial aid package. I'm seeing some SIPA students receive pretty decent fellowships, though. I read somewhere in this forum that someone got 20k per year? I'm a little hopeful but not expecting a miracle.

As for the large class size, for me, I went to a large public university, so I don't mind that too much. I think that it also makes some sense, since so many people are losing their jobs or are being relegated to work that they are not satisfied with (such is the case with me). Many are opting to go back to school instead of working. I hope that the increase doesn't represent a lower standard in admission and program quality but rather a solution to the higher number of grad school applicants that are qualified.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what current/former students have to say about the program, both negative and positives. I can't deny that part of my decision to attend Columbia was the name part. However, from at least some of what I've read, the program quality does live up to the prestige of the name. It seems that a lot of dissatisfaction stems from field placement. I hope that I don't wind up in that position!

Thank you, TerriM, for sharing this info. It must have been exciting to receive that phone call! And congratulations on your decision to attend Oxford! You're going to get an amazing education there.

Wow, it's really disappointing to hear so many negative things about Columbia. I have heard, cumulatively, quite a bit of not-so-great info on the school and I'm really regretting that it is the only program I applied to!

I just thought it was quite perfect considering my international social work interests. Well, I suppose things are what you make them and you do have the opportunity to take a lot of classes on an interdepartmental basis - such as within SIPA, so perhaps I'm not a total sucker for considering it...but perhaps I am!!!!

Congrats, TerriM on the Oxford decision - that is truly exciting!

• 3 weeks later...