Yale vs. Columbia Statistics PhD

I'm having some trouble comparing and contrasting the PhD programs and Yale and Columbia. Obvious things come to mind like size, location, etc., but could anyone comment on research strengths, placements, quals/time till graduation, faculty, culture? I want to go into industry after getting my PhD (open to tech, finance, healthcare, etc.). I would really appreciate any insight at all that anyone has into either (or both) of these departments. Thank you.

If you're pretty set on industry, I'd recommend going wherever you think you'll enjoy the research and be in a place you'll enjoy living - you can write your own ticket to whatever industry position you want with a PhD from either of those places.  Don't know enough to comment on the culture of the departments. 

Not really...stronger programs don't fluctuate in rankings though (if you want to use rankings to pick Columbia) . I think if research lines up better at one school and there are multiple professors in that field, you should pick that school!

I think one should also consider a size of the department and other closely related disciplines like computer science and economics. You can meet more people in the field and its related fields, which could provide you with more research opportunities. Especially nowadays, as the statistics and computer science merge together as a so-called field “Data Science”, having a strong computer science department is a huge advantage if one wants to study statistical learning.

12 hours ago, jswizzle48 said:

Not really...stronger programs don't fluctuate in rankings though (if you want to use rankings to pick Columbia) . I think if research lines up better at one school and there are multiple professors in that field, you should pick that school!

Thank you! This definitely helps. 

8 hours ago, SheldonCopper said:

I think one should also consider a size of the department and other closely related disciplines like computer science and economics. You can meet more people in the field and its related fields, which could provide you with more research opportunities. Especially nowadays, as the statistics and computer science merge together as a so-called field “Data Science”, having a strong computer science department is a huge advantage if one wants to study statistical learning.

True, good point. I definitely want to collaborate with CS departments, so this would be a good consideration to make.

3 hours ago, Gauss2017 said:

Yale doesn’t have a good reputation in most STEM fields.  They are working on improving it. I would go with Columbia especially if you want to go into industry

Could you expand on what you mean by this about Yale? Does that stem from them being more theoretical and smaller?

1 hour ago, statphd said:

Could you expand on what you mean by this about Yale? Does that stem from them being more theoretical and smaller?

http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/04/the-story-of-science-at-yale-part-ii-sizing-up-science-at-yale/

Over the years I have heard stories of inadequate funding and staffing for some of their STEM programs.  Here is a petition by the CS students from a couple of years ago

http://www.businessinsider.com/yale-computer-science-petition-2015-3

Given your intention to find a placement in industry and to collaborate with CS department, I would definitely suggest to go for Columbia. Columbia has a better CS department and hey, New York is an ideal city to find a job, given your Columbia degree.