FLAS delays

astroid88

Anyone else unsure of their FLAS status? Decision day is coming soon, and the three universities I am waiting on are taking forever! One is encouraging me to commit before I know my official status. What nerve!

Commiserate with me?

P.S: I know FLAS is not technically related to history, but I think it does affect a lot of students of history. 

Edited by astroid88

Apparently the money is awarded in four-year blocks. The issue is that nobody knows whether the program will be continued after this block's money runs out.

When I attended a FLAS meeting a few months ago here, we were encouraged not to hold our collective breath.

1 hour ago, psstein said:

Apparently the money is awarded in four-year blocks. The issue is that nobody knows whether the program will be continued after this block's money runs out.

When I attended a FLAS meeting a few months ago here, we were encouraged not to hold our collective breath.

Ah, I see. I knew it had to with something higher up, but I didn't know about the four year blocks. 

Edited by astroid88

Schools are waiting on the US department of Education to renew FLAS funding. Last time I heard, schools will hear back from the department of education in the Summer (Late July). 

I am in the same boat because my top choice offered me FLAS given that their funding gets renewed. We might not hear back until a month before school starts :(

On 4/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, Africanagyal said:

Schools are waiting on the US department of Education to renew FLAS funding. Last time I heard, schools will hear back from the department of education in the Summer (Late July). 

I am in the same boat because my top choice offered me FLAS given that their funding gets renewed. We might not hear back until a month before school starts :(

Deciding on a school (that will arguably impact our future careers) without having all of our financial information feels unfair.

I have offers from two master's programs and a PhD program. I would like to go the master's route, and I am a finalist for FLAS at both master's programs,  but, as is, I cannot choose the master's programs because I might not get FLAS, which would result in big tuition bills at both master's programs. That means I have to go with the safer route, the PhD, despite preferring the other schools. 

I've asked for extensions from the schools, but none of them want to offer one. I don't want to say yes to all three, as that seems dirty, but it's just such a weird year for funding. 

Edited by dhg

3 hours ago, dhg said:

Deciding on a school (that will arguably impact our future careers) without having all of our financial information feels unfair.

I have offers from two master's programs and a PhD program. I would like to go the master's route, and I am a finalist for FLAS at both master's programs,  but, as is, I cannot choose the master's programs because I might not get FLAS, which would result in big tuition bills at both master's programs. That means I have to go with the safer route, the PhD, despite preferring the other schools. 

I've asked for extensions from the schools, but none of them want to offer one. I don't want to say yes to all three, as that seems dirty, but it's just such a weird year for funding. 

It may be wise to say that your acceptance will depend on whether or not you receive the FLAS. If you're going to invest your time in one, that program ought to invest in you.

It may be wise to say that your acceptance will depend on whether or not you receive the FLAS. If you're going to invest your time in one, that program ought to invest in you.

The thing is we must accept by the 15th and we won't know until mid-July if we will we get FLAS funding or not :/. The master's programs have given me some funding, but not enough to feel secure if FLAS falls through. 

Edited by dhg

12 hours ago, dhg said:

The thing is we must accept by the 15th and we won't know until mid-July if we will we get FLAS funding or not :/. The master's programs have given me some funding, but not enough to feel secure if FLAS falls through. 

Two things here: FLAS may not be renewed and the FLAS stipend hasn't increased in over a decade.

Two things here: FLAS may not be renewed 

Do all schools find out at once? I just went to a visit day the other day for one of my options, and they said it had been renewed for them. 

the FLAS stipend hasn't increased in over a decade.

As long as it pays for tuition, I'm happy.  I've lived off very little money for my whole life, and another year doesn't worry me. 

Edited by dhg

On 4/10/2018 at 4:52 PM, dhg said:

I definitely feel you on this. However, the recent US dept of Education's budget includes funding for the program that FLAS comes out of. There is still hope for some of us still waiting for FLAS announcements.