Funded Philosophy MA at EMU

Duns Eith

Hey I just got this on PhilUpdates, and I thought I would pass it on to the broader audience. There are some here who might have struck out or who might have only un-funded offers.

I’m writing to let you know about our MA program in Philosophy at Eastern Michigan University. If you have students interested in pursuing an MA in Philosophy in a pluralistic program with funding opportunities, I hope you will encourage them to apply.  We have rolling admissions, so students can apply at any time to enter the program at the beginning of the upcoming semester.  We have recently received new lines of funding that we can assign to incoming students beginning in Fall 2018.  Students interested in such an opportunity would need to apply to the program by May 1, 2018

Currently in its fifth year, our young MA program has a lot to recommend it.  Our faculty is pluralistic, giving students opportunities to engage in philosophical study in the Analytic, Continental, non-Western, and Feminist traditions.  Students enroll in one of two tracks: Methodology or Social Justice.  The Methodology Track allows students to explore questions about the nature of philosophy as a mode of inquiry, drawing from diverse philosophical traditions, with courses in Chinese Philosophy, Phenomenology, Comparative Philosophy, and Philosophy of Science.  The Social Justice Track offers courses in Ethical Theory, Food Justice, Environmental Philosophy, Social Epistemology, Moral Psychology, and Feminist Philosophy.  These courses examine a number of contemporary concerns, including the nature of just social structures, relations, and practices; theoretical and practical issues related to gender, race, class, and disability; challenges for individual and collective action; and conceptions of what it could mean to flourish in the midst of climate change and other forms of ecological upheaval.

We are able to provide funding, in the form of Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships, to as many as eight graduate students.  These Assistantships offer substantial tuition remissions and modest stipends to continuing and incoming students.  These opportunities are available for Canadian and international students as well as for US students.  The University also offers other funding opportunities for which students may apply.

The email did not have a link, but it had a flyer. So, I think this link should be sufficient: https://www.emich.edu/historyphilosophy/philosophy/programs/graduate.php

Oh, and the GRE is not required to apply.