Negotiating Offer

keceli

Hello,

I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have ever negotiated an offer for a PhD program. Whether or not you have, what do you think about it? Do you think it is appropriate or may it even work? What would be the appropriate way of doing it?

I currently have two offers, and one of them gives me a stipend that is 10k a year more than the other. But I really want to attend the less paying one. Do you think it would be possible to get them increase the offer if I ask them by saying I have a better offer, but I really want to accept theirs?

Let me know what you think.

12 minutes ago, collegesista said:

I'm doing this currently, but the difference is $5k. It is also good to note differences in cost of living between the two schools (if there is one). Asking never hurts!

Who are you going to ask it to?

And do you think there is a possibility that they may withdraw their offer and give it to someone else since you kind of complain about it?

1 hour ago, keceli said:

Who are you going to ask it to?

And do you think there is a possibility that they may withdraw their offer and give it to someone else since you kind of complain about it?

I doubt it, the worst that could happen is they can't match the offer. I've never heard of anyone getting an offer revoked.

3 hours ago, collegesista said:

I doubt it, the worst that could happen is they can't match the offer. I've never heard of anyone getting an offer revoked.

I see, thanks! But I asked a professor about it and he said that the TA/RA rates are usually not negotiable as they are usually set by the university or TA unions etc. so there is usually no flexibility for negotiating.