The New School Psychology Master with Tuition Waiver and Stipend

I just found out that I'm admitted into the New School for its Master in Psychology. They offer me a full tuition waiver with a stipend of $20,000 per academic year. It seems like this master program is connected with their PhD programs. After completing MA for the first two years, I can apply for its PhD program. The fellowship lasts for 7 years and the stipend is provided for 5 years. 

I'm curious how current and past students evaluate their program, especially in terms of research opportunities and academic quality? I'm also curious what people think about their psychology department, e.g. faculty, research, support for grad students, flexibility with students' concentration etc. I'm mostly concerned with their academic quality, because a friend of mine said that although the school is associated with big names, their academics has been going downhill. However, that could totally be a biased opinion.

On one hand the program's ranking doesn't seem great, and there is a limited number of faculty members to work with. On the other hand, it's a good school that offers appealing financial supports and it's in NYC. (I know the stipend is not much, but I think it covers housing. I can afford other kinds of living expenses, which I think won't amount to more than a few thousands dollars per year.)

I only applied to three schools for PhD in Psychology and was not admitted into any, so I'm surprised with this offer. My other options are master programs at the University of Groningen, St. Andrews, Manchester and others, but all of them are in Europe, where I want to explore after staying in the States for college as an international student. However, none of the European programs offer scholarships. But I'm very interested in going to Netherlands for both studying and living there. I love exploring new cultures and places, and the expenses for going there is not that much - still more expensive than accepting the New School, though.

I'd appreciate any kind of advice, thought and help! Thanks so much!

14 hours ago, dl2345 said:

I just found out that I'm admitted into the New School for its Master in Psychology. They offer me a full tuition waiver with a stipend of $20,000 per academic year. It seems like this master program is connected with their PhD programs. After completing MA for the first two years, I can apply for its PhD program. The fellowship lasts for 7 years and the stipend is provided for 5 years. 

I'm curious how current and past students evaluate their program, especially in terms of research opportunities and academic quality? I'm also curious what people think about their psychology department, e.g. faculty, research, support for grad students, flexibility with students' concentration etc. I'm mostly concerned with their academic quality, because a friend of mine said that although the school is associated with big names, their academics has been going downhill. However, that could totally be a biased opinion.

On one hand the program's ranking doesn't seem great, and there is a limited number of faculty members to work with. On the other hand, it's a good school that offers appealing financial supports and it's in NYC. (I know the stipend is not much, but I think it covers housing. I can afford other kinds of living expenses, which I think won't amount to more than a few thousands dollars per year.)

I only applied to three schools for PhD in Psychology and was not admitted into any, so I'm surprised with this offer. My other options are master programs at the University of Groningen, St. Andrews, Manchester and others, but all of them are in Europe, where I want to explore after staying in the States for college as an international student. However, none of the European programs offer scholarships. But I'm very interested in going to Netherlands for both studying and living there. I love exploring new cultures and places, and the expenses for going there is not that much - still more expensive than accepting the New School, though.

hey there - I would avoid this school if possible. Find one that will prepare you for a program outside of its own. The program is very competitive within itself since the PhD program only accepts its own masters students (i think they accept 20 or so MA students and every year they take about 7 PhD... so your friends are your competition in essence). I worked with a few people who were in the MA program and they really disliked the program at the time (we were all working at columbia medical center). I think the program is not highly looked upon, especially in the NYC area. Its surprising that they are offering you funding though, I have never heard of that - so that is a plus, but in terms of research, prestige, and comradery, I would stay away... hope thats helpful! Also the school is in a very cool location of NYC (on 14th street near union sq) so its in a very hustle and bustling place in New York, so if that is something that you are interested in, it will definitely fulfill that. Best of luck!!!

Edited by nycgrad14

46 minutes ago, nycgrad14 said:

hey there - I would avoid this school if possible. Find one that will prepare you for a program outside of its own. The program is very competitive within itself since the PhD program only accepts its own masters students (i think they accept 20 or so MA students and every year they take about 7 PhD... so your friends are your competition in essence). I worked with a few people who were in the MA program and they really disliked the program at the time (we were all working at columbia medical center). I think the program is not highly looked upon, especially in the NYC area. Its surprising that they are offering you funding though, I have never heard of that - so that is a plus, but in terms of research, prestige, and comradery, I would stay away... hope thats helpful! Also the school is in a very cool location of NYC (on 14th street near union sq) so its in a very hustle and bustling place in New York, so if that is something that you are interested in, it will definitely fulfill that. Best of luck!!!

Thank you so much! Do you think their master program doesn't prepare graduates for PhD programs at other universities except its own? I'm not certain if I want to go for their PhD program at this moment, to be honest. 

20 hours ago, dl2345 said:

Thank you so much! Do you think their master program doesn't prepare graduates for PhD programs at other universities except its own? I'm not certain if I want to go for their PhD program at this moment, to be honest. 

no problem at all!! To be honest, I dont think they do - I could be wrong, obviously, since I didnt go there for my masters. But they are training you to apply primarily to their phd program, and if youre not even interested in applying to their doctoral program, its almost like, whats the point of you going there then? If it's just for NYC living, then thats one thing but thats a big gamble. Primarily all the labs are inhouse, so you're not really branching out, making connections in the city, etc... I also have never heard of a lab that has good connections to other schools. At all. So I just feel like they dont have a good reputation in the city, and even outside the city, no one knows what "the new school" is. This is again my N of 1 opinion, but I have lived here for 6 years, have worked in psych research for the past 4 in a full time capacity, and finally going to get my PhD this fall, and have never really heard good things about the program. Food for thought - maybe they will do an open house for you to come see the program? Hope this is helpful!

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:41 PM, nycgrad14 said:

Hi! I hope you see this. I really wanted to know if you ended up going to The New School and if yes, how's that going for you? Please reply. It would be very helpful to me :).

On 4/3/2018 at 2:09 AM, dl2345 said:

Hi! I hope you see this. I really wanted to know if you ended up going to The New School and if yes, how's that going for you? Please reply. It would be very helpful to me :).