Any History MA students who only had a minor in undergrad history?

TurnLeft

Bit of a niche question, but I'm graduating next year with a degree in English (honours) and History (minor)-- but have lately been entertaining the idea of pursuing my MA in history rather than english. It was basically a coin toss that sent me to major in English in the first place, and I'm kicking myself for not just double majoring from the start. Now, there's no time! I could feasibly take *almost* enough classes for a major, but I'd be 2-3 short. 

So that brings me to my question! Any MA students (or past students) who got into their program (preferably with decent funding) despite not having a major in History on their transcripts?

Thank you!

Edited by TurnLeft
spelling mistakes

I don't have an answer to your question (sorry), but I just thought I'd ask if you've counted winter and summer sessions into your schedule that could almost give you enough classes. If you haven't, you could probably take courses during those sessions, either online or in person to make up the extra 2-3 classes. If your university doesn't offer them, you could ask your history department if you could take them through another school and transfer the credits. 

I don't have specific examples I can show you off hand, but I know that I've seen profiles of numerous other individuals who went to graduate school for history after earning an undergraduate degree in a different field. Sometimes, you can bridge the gap by specializing in a subset of history that is relevant to your undergraduate degree. For instance, someone with a BS in Biology might go to grad school and specialize in environmental history. With your English degree, might you be interested in something like literary history or the history of language?

Thank you both so much for your answers! 

12 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

I don't have specific examples I can show you off hand, but I know that I've seen profiles of numerous other individuals who went to graduate school for history after earning an undergraduate degree in a different field. Sometimes, you can bridge the gap by specializing in a subset of history that is relevant to your undergraduate degree. For instance, someone with a BS in Biology might go to grad school and specialize in environmental history. With your English degree, might you be interested in something like literary history or the history of language?

This is a great idea-- my focus in English is actually applying history to medieval/early modern literature (so for example: reading Shakespeare through the anxieties of waiting for Elizabeth's death w/ no heir etc.) so I wonder if that would help... I've been looking at English MA programs with a focus on Medieval/Early Modern studies that allow cross disciplinary studies, wondering if I can keep my history fix that way, but ugh! I just want to eliminate the fiction part and stick with the history :P

5 hours ago, TurnLeft said:

Thank you both so much for your answers! 

This is a great idea-- my focus in English is actually applying history to medieval/early modern literature (so for example: reading Shakespeare through the anxieties of waiting for Elizabeth's death w/ no heir etc.) so I wonder if that would help... I've been looking at English MA programs with a focus on Medieval/Early Modern studies that allow cross disciplinary studies, wondering if I can keep my history fix that way, but ugh! I just want to eliminate the fiction part and stick with the history :P

I would confer with some of your trusted mentors on how to most effectively shape your graduate school applications to get accepted into a history program. Your professors will have a lot of good advice. I would not also be afraid to contact professors of interest at history programs that you might like to attend, introduce yourself and explain your situation, and see if they have any thoughts on how to get admitted to their program with an undergraduate degree that's not entirely about history. 

On a purely numbers level, I would also hope that your grades in your history classes were good, and ideally they would be even higher than your general GPA. That would show that you have a special passion for history.

Finally, I will also say that interdisciplinarity has been big for the last few decades. The fact that you bring a different type of expertise to the program might actually work in your favor. With the right wording, you might use that as a selling point in your Statement Of Purpose.

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

I've found that specifically in public history graduate programs that there are a variety of academic backgrounds. Of course, there are differences between public history and "traditional" history, but I've never seen my classmates struggle because they have an English background rather than a history background. (We have a few). I think interdisciplinary approaches can help to really round you out as a scholar!  Plus, your statement of purpose is the place to explain how that English background affects your historical scholarship.

Yes, though I'm not among them. History of Science tends to have a split between history BAs interested in  science/medicine (probably 65% or so) and science BS students interested in history (about 35% or so). It's more common these days to have a history degree as a history of science student, but not unheard of not to.

To your question, it really depends how you sell it. If you can argue that you're prepared for a history program despite not being a history major, you'll do fine. Had I decided to pursue something like church history or New Testament, I would've been in the same boat. The SoP's purpose is to persuade an advisor and a committee that you are capable of doing what you say you want to do.

There are plenty of people who enter a history MA or PhD without a BA in history. You just need to show the admissions committees through your SOP and writing sample that you can think/ask questions/write like a historian, understand what primary source research in history is, conceive of a historical dissertation topic and have some knowledge of historiographical trends. You should use your background to your advantage, making it clear to the committee how majoring in a different discipline can provide a unique perspective in your research (interdisciplinarity is a boon, and if you've done other things besides history that's an easy way to put your money where your mouth is when it comes to thinking and utilizing skills across disciplines).

Edited by ashiepoo72

I have a similar situation (BS Criminology, minor History), and my history advisers said that a strong minor is sufficient. I took roughly as many history courses as I did for my major, but my University required 30 additional total credits to graduate, since it was a dual degree, BA and BS. I also acquiesced towards history rather than my major, but stuck it out for the diploma.

I plan to apply to Fall 2019 MA programs to gain some more training, and will likely pursue a PhD following that. 

I totally understand how you feel; I was in your shoes just a few months ago thinking that my background (I majored in a science field) could prevent me from going to grad school in history. However, I got accepted by a few funded MA programs, and I did not even minor in history, so everything is possible.