What does "short on funding" mean?

Applicantsocio

Hello everyone,

I received an email from my department. It states, "After factoring in the department’s offer, you are $x,xxx short on funding." The clerk told me I would need to upload a proof of funding document. What does it mean? The DGS told me I would have about $20,000 as a stipend. 

Edited by Applicantsocio

Then it sounds like the person communicating with you is asking you for financial information in order to process the paperwork necessary to get your foreign student visa/status for study in the USA. In order to qualify for F-1 or J-1 status, you need to provide a certain amount of proof of financial support, either from the department or from your own savings or another funding source. This is a requirement from US Immigration that you must have enough funds to match the published cost of attendance for your school. It seems like even though you will get a $20,000 stipend, that is not enough to cover the cost of attendance.

You should of course make sure this is actually the case. First, double check that they have accounted for all of the department funding (upload the offer letter if you have it). If so, and if you have $x,xxx ready to go in the bank, then you should ask them how to best provide this proof and then do so. Here are some example proof of funding documents from a blog post: https://blog.iefa.org/2012/04/proof-of-funds-for-your-f-1-visa.html

Finally, disclaimer: This is all advice based on what I know about this process but I'm not an expert. Definitely talk to your school's international student office for help and specifics on your case. 

6 hours ago, TakeruK said:

Then it sounds like the person communicating with you is asking you for financial information in order to process the paperwork necessary to get your foreign student visa/status for study in the USA. In order to qualify for F-1 or J-1 status, you need to provide a certain amount of proof of financial support, either from the department or from your own savings or another funding source. This is a requirement from US Immigration that you must have enough funds to match the published cost of attendance for your school. It seems like even though you will get a $20,000 stipend, that is not enough to cover the cost of attendance.

You should of course make sure this is actually the case. First, double check that they have accounted for all of the department funding (upload the offer letter if you have it). If so, and if you have $x,xxx ready to go in the bank, then you should ask them how to best provide this proof and then do so. Here are some example proof of funding documents from a blog post: https://blog.iefa.org/2012/04/proof-of-funds-for-your-f-1-visa.html

Finally, disclaimer: This is all advice based on what I know about this process but I'm not an expert. Definitely talk to your school's international student office for help and specifics on your case. 

Oh, I think you are completely right. The email states, "the student is incomplete at the SEVIS stage." The additional expense is about $22,000. I was short on about $2,500.

Now, I am relieved by your answer. I will double check though. 

Thanks!