Fall 2018: Where ya headed?

nudeinbrook

On 4/10/2018 at 3:41 PM, nudeinbrook said:

Excited? Regrets? Advice for next year's applicants? 

You want to kick us off @nudeinbrook? I like the idea of this thread, but I'm still processing or something, and not able to muster the energy for a full rehash—if were to start, I'm afraid it would amount to a short memoir. The TL;DR version is I'll be attending a newish MA program at the University of Houston. This is not what I was expecting when I started this process but I'm quite excited, and also nervous because I'll be uprooting myself from a comfortable existence to pursue a new career in a new city, and I'm older than the usual grad student. 

headed to tufts MA! am very excited. i initially wanted a change of place as i went to undergrad in boston as well and have been working here for a year right after graduating, but i know i made the right decision. i have relationships here i want to nurture, i'm excited to get involved in the budding POC art scene in boston, and study contemporary art to my heart's content. my only regret is tbh not getting application fee waivers for programs i didn't even realllly want to go to, but i gave it my all this application process and have minimal regrets. oh, i wish i talked to current students earlier on (i started talking to current students a week before the decision deadline of 4/15). 

ps message me if you're also going to be at tufts this fall for MA art history!

I will attend the last MA program I decided to apply to! It wasn't on my list until a talked to a PhD student at another school whose interests align with mine. She suggested it might be a good fit for me. Seems she was right! For this reason, I absolutely recommend having as many phone conversations with current students and faculty, as possible. Even if you aren't accepted to that specific program you can learn a lot about types of programs and your field in general from their experience, advice, and info. Overall, I'm feeling confident, excited, and very thankful that I decided to apply, thankful for all the people who helped and encouraged me, and thankful that I applied to a wide variety of schools (10 total) since I received more rejections than acceptances, but ultimately got accepted to a school I am excited about with a helpful financial package, too!

4 hours ago, Allegorica said:

I will attend the last MA program I decided to apply to! It wasn't on my list until a talked to a PhD student at another school whose interests align with mine. She suggested it might be a good fit for me. Seems she was right! For this reason, I absolutely recommend having as many phone conversations with current students and faculty, as possible. Even if you aren't accepted to that specific program you can learn a lot about types of programs and your field in general from their experience, advice, and info. Overall, I'm feeling confident, excited, and very thankful that I decided to apply, thankful for all the people who helped and encouraged me, and thankful that I applied to a wide variety of schools (10 total) since I received more rejections than acceptances, but ultimately got accepted to a school I am excited about with a helpful financial package, too!

My story mirrors yours a bit, @Allegorica. The program at Houston was not on my radar at all before I decided to apply to it very late in the game. One of my recommendation writers mentioned it as an option, and at first I was skeptical because of the program's newness, and the way she framed it put me off because she presented it as an alternative to the competitive programs like Williams that interested me. (Backstory: I lack a BA or experience in art history other than taking an undergrad course a semester for a couple years). But when I researched Houston's faculty and all of the resources available to art history students through the university and local art museums, I had to admit Houston's program was actually a great fit.

Out of three applications, Houston's was the only offer I received. I'd really banked on getting into my home institution, which meant keeping my job and life as is; so when they rejected me, I was crestfallen. (It turned out that the program was inundated with a huge existing cohort and prospective students in my interest area.) As this application cycle wore on, the high level of competition dawned on me, and I realized why my recommender had given me a reality check. Tulane also rejected me, no surprise given the number of applications they receive for 2-3 spots/year. Then, hallelujah for my bruised ego, Houston came through with an offer, and suddenly, I had to weigh whether or not to leave my current job and home city to pursue graduate school. It means making some sacrifices, but it turns out: yes, I do want it that bad. Now—as positive-spinning as this may sound—I feel certain I ended up with the best scenario in terms of my interests and career goals, which is a writing/publishing career in the arts. Houston offered me an editorial fellowship at an arts magazine and the prospect of learning from teachers who have tons of experience in the career I want to pursue. Despite my initial hurt feelings at being dissuaded from shooting for top-notch programs, I am grateful that I was nudged in the direction of a fledgling program willing to give me a chance. This is not to say you shouldn't aim high. I'm just glad in my case that I didn't turn my nose up at an option before really examining it.

So, my advice to other applicants is stay open to the unexpected. What looks bad one day might transform into something fortuitous later on. I would also say that the process is a learning experience the whole way through. Despite all my hours scrolling through these forums and researching how to assemble a solid application, I just had to go through the gauntlet myself before really understanding key aspects of the process. So be easy on yourself: it's a learning-by-doing process and definitely a case of you don't know until you know (as disappointingly trite as that sounds). Having come out the other side of a cycle, I totally see why it can take multiple attempts to get into a program.  

Edited by sheshekabob

I was accepted to a top-tier west coast program, to which I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined that I'd get in. One thing is certain - GREs are not as important as one might think and you shouldn't waste too much of your valuable time on studying to this atrocious test. Instead, I would suggest, for future readers of this thread, to focus on your letter and writing sample. Have as many people as possible read them. Try to be as creative and memorable as possible. If you're invited for an interview - that's great, cuz it gives you an opportunity to persuade the faculty of your strengths, thinking process and personality. During my interview, I actually realized that I really fit in with the department so. 

Another important thing that I have learned from this experience: most students who apply to a Ph.D. program have an MA or some kind of equivalent degree. If you are fresh off your undergraduate studies, make sure to supplement this relatively disadvantageous position by improving your essays, or even by physically visiting the different programs and professors that interest you the most. It might prove so valuable and make you memorable as well as allow you to see things from another perspective - one that is not so much available from a distance. 

Good luck you guys! 

PS

You're very welcome to PM me if you have any more specific questions in regards to this exhausting-but-worthwhile application process. :-)

On 4/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Allegorica said:

What about you? I see you were also a fall 2018 applicant.

I'm headed to a UC school for my PhD—fully funded! I could not be happier with my acceptance. I was invited to two "open house" events (both at UC schools): school “A” was disorganized, not transparent, and couldn’t give me real information about financials. That being said, my POI there was really kind and his research was interesting. School “B” was a dream from the moment I set foot on campus. The students were open and honest with me, and my POI recently published a well-reviewed book and is doing meaningful and serious research. This is my second time applying. It has been a long, arduous, and very expensive road, I won’t lie. Sometimes I get really jaded thinking about how privileged this field is. My parents and partner have been financial fallbacks and I would not have been able to apply this year without support.

The first time I applied, I wrote my SOP around my current research interests—but these interests were not exactly “marketable,” if that makes sense. I quickly realized this, and began charting another path that included research I did for a curator (on a completely unrelated topic, but one I felt deeply passionate about). My SOP this year was more broad, topical, and frankly, more exciting. I also presented at conferences, got a museum fellowship, and wrote a few exhibition reviews. Also, I made a point to connect with a few POI’s. I read conflicting advice about doing so, but in the long run, it worked out for me. As others have commented, please feel free to PM me if you would like additional details or want to chat.