Computer Recommendations

Hi everyone! I'm starting a doctoral program in political science in the fall in a more quantitatively rigorous program, and am looking to buy a new computer. What computers (preferably laptops) have you used and what software do you run on it regularly? 

Thanks!

If there's any advice I have, it's to choose a computer that works well for you. By this I mean opt into a device that accommodates the way you write, the hobbies you have and the way you like to organize your files. If your laptop is your primary computer, be sure the keyboard is one you like. You'll be writing a lot and staring at the screen a lot. An external monitor for working at home is well worth the investment as well. 

Given the state of current computer processors and harddrives, I wouldn't worry too much about having a laptop up to the task of a quantitatively rigorous program - the majority of new computers are up to the task. I would suggest opting into the biggest internal harddrive you can to give yourself the space, and perhaps one step up from the base RAM specifications. For any top of the line PC this won't break the bank, but for a Mac it will since they moved to SSD harddrives in all of their machines.

I currently use a 2017 Macbook Pro. I upgraded at the end of my first semester after my older 2010 Macbook Pro died. I went with it to maintain my ecosystem more than anything else. I do photography on the side, the software licenses I have are for Mac. I have an iPad for reading and and iPhone. I like how easily everything syncs across devices. I tested out a number of PC alternatives and didn't like the feel of them. I also valued that my previous MacBook got me through 4 years of undergrad and an MA with next to no problems. The longevity of the machine is something I valued highly.

In hindsight, given the cost, it doesn't seem worth it. I opted for the 15-inch, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 model with 16GB of RAM and a 250GB harddrive. I managed to get a stellar deal of just under $2000 shortly after they were released through a family member who could get me a staff discount at Staples. The newer keyboards are finicky with time. Despite being fully recessed, the keys can stick or lose sensitivity without much reason. It's hard to type quietly and my fingers cramp when I type for more than 2 hours (which on a writing spree, happens often). The trackpads are now so large that it's easy to swipe with your palm when you're coding which can redirect your cursor to another line. The touchbar, while great, is also within range of being swiped. I've accidentally excited windows and closed files without saving because of it - including one instance that some combination of accidental swipes closed a one note document 3/4 through a lecture without saving. I've also paid out close to $75 on adaptors since most cables and monitors don't support USB-C. To connect my monitor and an external keyboard for working at home, this proved bothersome. The small things have been grating. 

Functionally, the machine I'm running has no problems and runs like a dream. The battery can drain incredibly fast if I'm running large estimations in R repetitively. I have had some yellowing on the monitor that Apple said was covered under AppleCare. I just haven't had the chance to hand it over to them for a week to have it fixed.

Alternative PC models worth looking into are the Lenovo Yogabook. Asus also has a series of compact laptops, the Zenbook or the Q series of machines, that carry the look and feel of a Mac if that's more up your ally. A few people in my program use a variety of Microsoft Surface laptops. Some also have Dell laptops, a few HP. The majority have Apple laptops as they can be purchased through the university for less. A lot of my friends have the came feeling about the new MacBooks but with the investment made, we're sticking with it.

20 hours ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

If there's any advice I have, it's to choose a computer that works well for you. By this I mean opt into a device that accommodates the way you write, the hobbies you have and the way you like to organize your files. If your laptop is your primary computer, be sure the keyboard is one you like. You'll be writing a lot and staring at the screen a lot. An external monitor for working at home is well worth the investment as well. 

These are great points. I've heard about similar issues with the newer Macbook Pros, which is annoying because I am also most comfortable with Apple products having used them for so many years. Given the issues I've had with my older Macbook Pro, and the issues my friends are having, I think it might be worth acclimating to a new system. 

I'll definitely take a look into your other suggestions. Thank you so much!

If you have any way to contact current graduate students in your department (ask the graduate coordinator for emails), the best thing to do is ask them what they use. I've found that they are the best sources of information for questions like this.