Moving Costs?

watersnake

Nope, I've never asked or heard of anyone asking. I paid for the move to my MA program and the cross-country move to my PhD program out of pocket. This may vary by field though since the programs in my field fund all students and give all students the same amount of funding so if one person were to get moving funds, everyone would which is likely to be unaffordable to the program.

Nope, I've never asked or heard of anyone asking. I paid for the move to my MA program and the cross-country move to my PhD program out of pocket. This may vary by field though since the programs in my field fund all students and give all students the same amount of funding so if one person were to get moving funds, everyone would which is likely to be unaffordable to the program.

Thanks for responding, and you make a good point. In fact, my POI in the program made it a point to tell me that they fund all students the same as to not create tensions, etc. Oh well. It's certainly worth the daunting moving expenses! :)

I do know that Harvard (at least the School of Public Health for Biostatistics) gives all new students a $3000 moving stipend their first year. (The stipend is smaller if you already live in the Boston area, but still exists).

I haven't heard of it anywhere else though.

My offer from UCSD's math department last year included a small amount of money I would have gotten upon arrival to help defray moving expenses, but that's the only time I've ever personally of heard something like that being included in a funding package.