AOI and letter writers

jc177

Hi all,

*Firstly, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm inundating this forum with questions; I was wavering between applying to law school and grad school, and I finally chose the latter.

Say that I want to concentrate in metaphysics. Would it be advisable to get a letter from the professor who taught my metaphysics class? What if I did better (grade-wise) in a different class? (I got an A- in metaphysics.)

Thank you so much!

Get letters from the profs who are most familiar with your work, and who are comfortable saying great things about you and your work.

It's great if a rev or two are from people working in your AOI (working in it, mind, not just teaching it). But a strong letter from someone familiar with you and your work is much more important.

^ There is little point in getting a letter from someone who can't say much more than that you got an A- in their class. Can this person speak to your qualifications as an academic? It's best to get letters from those who know you best and can make the strongest case that you will make a strong candidate in your field, and/or as an academic. Adcoms can see your grades on your transcript so a letter that can't say much more than how you did in a class won't get you very far. 

1 hour ago, maxhgns said:

Get letters from the profs who are most familiar with your work, and who are comfortable saying great things about you and your work.

It's great if a rev or two are from people working in your AOI (working in it, mind, not just teaching it). But a strong letter from someone familiar with you and your work is much more important.

14 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

^ There is little point in getting a letter from someone who can't say much more than that you got an A- in their class. Can this person speak to your qualifications as an academic? It's best to get letters from those who know you best and can make the strongest case that you will make a strong candidate in your field, and/or as an academic. Adcoms can see your grades on your transcript so a letter that can't say much more than how you did in a class won't get you very far. 

Thank you very much for the replies! I now know how to approach this issue.