Withdrawing an Application

I've recently been informally notified of a rejection from Columbia. However, I have yet to be officially notified. In the meantime, I've decided to attend another school and I've been told that normally in such situations you should withdraw your other applications. Since I haven't been officially notified yet, should I still withdraw my application?

No. Although this is an awesome strategy - apply to crappy state uni (not implying anything here!) + Harvard, be accepted at crappy state uni, be informally told by Harvard you're rejected, then withdraw your application and brag to all your friends that you "are so elated to go to crappy state uni cos it perfect fit + you love the brutalism architecture that obviously you withdrew your Harvard application - only morons go there anyway".

sD., regretting he didn't apply to Harvard.

No. Although this is an awesome strategy - apply to crappy state uni (not implying anything here!) + Harvard, be accepted at crappy state uni, be informally told by Harvard you're rejected, then withdraw your application and brag to all your friends that you "are so elated to go to crappy state uni cos it perfect fit + you love the brutalism architecture that obviously you withdrew your Harvard application - only morons go there anyway".

sD., regretting he didn't apply to Harvard.

Lol, no no no. I didn't mean it like that! It's just that my field is rather small, so I'll probably be seeing these people at conferences and whatever. I didn't want to magically end up on some wait list of some sort and then have to tell them "oh, I accepted this other offer long ago . . . sorry about that . . . " Although I also don't want to look like I'm saying "Well! I'm too good for you! I'm going to withdraw my application before you reject me!" either.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use