Pacific U vs. Portland State-- help! Looking for honest answers.

I apologize that this is kind of long...

Background: I have a lower undergrad GPA (2.99), but I also have 5 years of work experience as an SLP-A. There is very strong and valid reason for my low GPA, which was all explained in the personal statement portion of my application. I was once told I would never be accepted into a Grad Program, so to even just have one acceptance was HUGE for me. I honestly would have never dreamed I would have the option to choose between two schools. I was accepted into Pacific U on March 2nd and found out yesterday that I was accepted into Portland State off of the waitlist.

I never thought PSU was on option for me because of the high number of applicants ( I think last year there was like 650?) and my low GPA. Second,  there was an issue with my transcript and my application wasn't verified by January 15th (It was verified on 1/16 at 8:00 am). I emailed PSU when I was applying to explain my transcript situation and was pretty much told my application wouldn't be considered because I didn't meet the verified deadline date. I assumed I was rejected at that point. So, when I found out I was on the waitlist, I was shocked. I also didn't think I would get in off the waitlist because I am on the second tier and was told that those on the 2nd and 3rd tier of the waitlist typically do not get in.

When I interviewed with Pacific, I immediately fell in love with the program and the professors. I loved everything about it there. With that being said, I feel like I should at least look into PSU's program.  But, I know very little about the program in general other than what I could find on their website. I am hoping I can find someone that completed their undergrad at PSU or someone that is a 1st-year grad student at PSU that can help give me some insight into the program.  I am looking for complete and honest answers. The location and the price of the both PSU and Pacific really doesn't matter to me and neither is something I would consider "deciding factors". I am more interested in learning more about which program would be the best fit for me. If anyone has any insight into either program, I would love to talk to you!

Thanks!

Congrats! Those are both super competitive programs!!  I did my post-bacc at PSU, spent a lot of time working in labs there, etc. The faculty is amazing and the resources in being so connected to OHSU is incredible. That being said, I also loved pacific and had considered that my top choice school. The main difference I hear people talk about is that Pacific is going to have more "hand holding" for better or for worse!! (For me that's better). They don't have quite as strong of ties to some of the big prestigious Portland placements but still is a great education. There probably is not a wrong choice here! Both are great programs with good reputations in the area. I think PSU is a little more research focused and the connection with OHSU is a huge factor to consider, especially if you lean toward a medical focus. Keep us updated with what you decide!! 

29 minutes ago, PNWSpeech said:

Congrats! Those are both super competitive programs!!  I did my post-bacc at PSU, spent a lot of time working in labs there, etc. The faculty is amazing and the resources in being so connected to OHSU is incredible. That being said, I also loved pacific and had considered that my top choice school. The main difference I hear people talk about is that Pacific is going to have more "hand holding" for better or for worse!! (For me that's better). They don't have quite as strong of ties to some of the big prestigious Portland placements but still is a great education. There probably is not a wrong choice here! Both are great programs with good reputations in the area. I think PSU is a little more research focused and the connection with OHSU is a huge factor to consider, especially if you lean toward a medical focus. Keep us updated with what you decide!! 

Thank you so much!! This really helped give me something to think about. I have worked an SLP-A in the educational setting and have very little insight the medical aspect. I have heard OSHU is big for research. During my interview at Pacific, I met one of their community partners from OSHU who was specialized in cleft lip and palate. So there must be some connection with OSHU if one of the community partners was there for the interviews?? I agree though, I don't think I can go wrong either way. However, I am leaning towards Pacific, I just loved the professor when I went for my interview! I was looking at PSU's webpage and have found very little information.  Are you going to Pacific this fall?  Thank you again for helping me!

On 4/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, aelwood14 said:

Thank you so much!! This really helped give me something to think about. I have worked an SLP-A in the educational setting and have very little insight the medical aspect. I have heard OSHU is big for research. During my interview at Pacific, I met one of their community partners from OSHU who was specialized in cleft lip and palate. So there must be some connection with OSHU if one of the community partners was there for the interviews?? I agree though, I don't think I can go wrong either way. However, I am leaning towards Pacific, I just loved the professor when I went for my interview! I was looking at PSU's webpage and have found very little information.  Are you going to Pacific this fall?  Thank you again for helping me!

Oh i'm sure that's true then!! I would go with pacific :)  I've loved everything about PSU but pacific just has such a charming program! I'm not going there, I actually didn't get into PSU OR Pacific, so i'm trying to decide if I wanna move across the country for a program or reapply and stay local.

Best of luck!!! 

On 4/26/2018 at 2:51 PM, PNWSpeech said:

Oh i'm sure that's true then!! I would go with pacific :)  I've loved everything about PSU but pacific just has such a charming program! I'm not going there, I actually didn't get into PSU OR Pacific, so i'm trying to decide if I wanna move across the country for a program or reapply and stay local.

Best of luck!!! 

Ah, thank you! I did decide to go with Pacific, but I am still having a hard time letting PSU know my decision (I have until tomorrow to make my final decision). Dang! I wish I could give you one of my spots, haha, if only it worked that way. ? Where did you get accepted (btw, congrats) at from across the country? 

19 minutes ago, aelwood14 said:

Ah, thank you! I did decide to go with Pacific, but I am still having a hard time letting PSU know my decision (I have until tomorrow to make my final decision). Dang! I wish I could give you one of my spots, haha, if only it worked that way. ? Where did you get accepted (btw, congrats) at from across the country? 

I committed to NYU! I'm excited about it but it'll be a big change :)

1 hour ago, PNWSpeech said:

I committed to NYU! I'm excited about it but it'll be a big change :)

Congrats! That will be an extremely big, but exciting move for you! I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and maybe there is some reason you are meant to move to the east coast!