Rejected for masters this year... looking to improve for next year. Any tips?

dandandee

I just finished my undergrad in december and had applied to do my masters in the fall..  but Unfortunately grad school is not in the cards for me this fall. I applied for 2 different programs (I know that's not a lot..) and got rejections from both. I'm a little disheartened obviously but I'm trying not to be defeated and looking into what I can do in these next 8 months to really improve my chances for applying this fall for a fall 2019 intake. 

I've already asked around and there unfortunately aren't any volunteer opportunities in the Environmental field near me as I'm having to live in a pretty rural area for the summer (I'm hoping to do a masters in climatology or environmental sustainability/resource management).  

So I'm asking, those of you who got rejected and applied a second time successfully (those of you who were successful the first time, please answer as well!), what are some things you did between getting the bad news and applying a second time that you think made a difference? It's already the end of april and I'll have to start applying in November, so I've got 7-8 months to try and do something to set me apart a little more. Any tips, ideas?