DOE Fellowships

finnegans_cake

I can't get through; it just went to voicemail. I don't want to be annoying, and I'm sure they have caller ID, so I am afraid of calling a bunch of times.

Same. I'm just going to assume I didn't get it and stop thinking about it.

I guess in this case, no news is bad news. The rest of us must either be rejected or on the waitlist. Unfortunately, because of how great the fellowship benefits are, probably isn't much hope for waitlisters.

Though my project was only tangentally related to the DOE Office of Science priorities, I probably didn't have much of a shot anyway. Congrats to those who did get a callback!

Everything posted so far supports alphabetical notification:

D @ 11:30 EST

H @ 3:30 EST

L @ (7:00?) EST

If it was alphabetical, it would seem that they didn't get through the list yesterday. That means either

a-- they notified the rest today, and no one posted it on this forum, or

b-- the notifier had other tasks today, and the remainder will be notified tomorrow/later this week

So there may still be hope for some of us...

Edited by anir-dendroica

Everything posted so far supports alphabetical notification:

D @ 11:30 EST

H @ 3:30 EST

L @ (7:00?) EST

If it was alphabetical, it would seem that they didn't get through the list yesterday. That means either

a-- they notified the rest today, and no one posted it on this forum, or

b-- the notifier had other tasks today, and the remainder will be notified tomorrow/later this week

So there may still be hope for some of us...

I'm afraid it's A.

I'm at the end of the alphabet and received a call around 2 EST today, so they have most likely finished up the calls by now. Hopefully they'll be able to offer some awards to people on the wait list.

I'm afraid it's A.

I'm at the end of the alphabet and received a call around 2 EST today, so they have most likely finished up the calls by now. Hopefully they'll be able to offer some awards to people on the wait list.

Having spoken to the notifier this morning, it seems like they are in meetings a lot this week. (But for yall's info, I was an 'R' called around 9AM EST).

Does anyone know when they will actually send written conformation. Do you know if it will be by e-mail or snailmail?

If you log into your application status page, it now says:

Posted April 7, 2010: All students with completed Office of Science Graduate Fellowship applications will receive an email by April 15, 2010 notifying them of their final status for this year.

Haven't gotten a call... oh well! Congrats to everyone who did! NSF it is :-)

How did you guys get information out of them? I just called and the lady would not budge. She wouldn't tell me my results and said "you're just going to have to wait til you get the notification." She also said they were DONE making decisions. Doesn't look good...oh well life goes on. Congratulations if you got it!

I assume that emails were only sent out to those who won it - since grad school decisions are due on the 15th, which is the same day they planned on sending out emails. I think they figured that it was only worth it to tell those who actually won it before the grad school deadline, since they probably didn't think a rejection would make a big difference for everyone else.

I haven't received an email or a call, so I'm 99.99% sure I got rejected.

To all those who have reported that they have received notifications of their award am I correct in reading that this is for the DOE computer science grad fellowship and not the office of science graduate fellowship? There seems to be some indication from folks that the office of science is notifying people as well but I can't tell because the postings just say that they got a phone call or email. Please clarify.

To all those who have reported that they have received notifications of their award am I correct in reading that this is for the DOE computer science grad fellowship and not the office of science graduate fellowship? There seems to be some indication from folks that the office of science is notifying people as well but I can't tell because the postings just say that they got a phone call or email. Please clarify.

This recent round of phone calls/emails has been for the Office of Science. Starting with my post a little while back. Sorry for not clarifying earlier.

For the DOE Office of Science Grad Fellowship. I just called to ask about notifications and they said that because there were so many awards they have not finished notifying everyone and that we should recieve an email and letter notification even if we did not receive an award by this week. Still leaves many of us with a trace of hope.

For the DOE Office of Science Grad Fellowship. I just called to ask about notifications and they said that because there were so many awards they have not finished notifying everyone and that we should recieve an email and letter notification even if we did not receive an award by this week. Still leaves many of us with a trace of hope.

Are you kidding me? That's great news, thanks for making the phone call! Who knows what our chances are but on the bright side, we only have to wait for three more days...

of the people that have already been notified, how many of you are not undergraduates? (that is, maybe they only contacted the ones that really needed to know quickly?)

I am an undergrad, so theres at least one data point that supports that theory.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

Any SCGF winners from Stanford? If so send me a PM.

From what I've gathered they are currently trying to decide how to cover the remaining tuition. I assumed that since both the NSF and SCGF pay 10500 tuition, Stanford would pick up the rest of the tuition like it does for the NSF, but apparently they are considering it out of the extra living expenses.

of the people that have already been notified, how many of you are not undergraduates? (that is, maybe they only contacted the ones that really needed to know quickly?)

I am a grad student and I got called on the first day.

Just got an e-mail about being an "Alternate." (i.e. waitlist) Now I get to wait until May 5th.

I just received an email notifying me that I am an alternate. Here is a section of it:

"We received more than 3,200 completed applications which were subjected to a rigorous external review by distinguished scientists. Selections were based on demonstration of outstanding academic achievement, graduate research and career objectives, and letters of recommendation. From the review process, 450 applicants were selected as Finalists; 150 of the most highly reviewed Finalists have been extended a fellowship offer. A prioritized list of Alternates has been established and you are among this group. "

I've got till May 5th as well.