Would it better to apply just for a teaching credential or a teaching credential with MA?

teddibearbear

Hello

I am in CA. I am just applying to all the cal state programs. I started my path to in becoming a teacher in the last couple months. I am just lost.  My previous work experience has nothing to do with teaching. I've graduated college years ago.  Would it better to apply for a teaching credential and without the MA. I feel like it'll be more competitive to get the program with the MA. 

Edited by teddibearbear

One thing to consider is what Rising_Star stated. Typically, (granted it varies by state and even district and school) teachers with an MA often make more. So, having an MA with no experience may work against you simply because the school has to pay you more and why would they want to do that for someone with little, or no experience, when they can hire someone with a BA/BS and pay them a decent salary less. In IL where I did my education program, the difference between an BS to MA was like 6-7k more a year. So it could be a bigger gap in other states possibly. The one downside to doing just a teaching credential cert is that there are often limited financial aid opportunities. You are typically considered a post-bachelors student and not-degree seeking. This results in extremely limited financial aid usually. Completing the MA with the certification would probably result in more financial aid to help pay for the program.

Pros and Cons to both sides and something you probably want to consider.

I taught and spent a lot of money on my teaching credential program, and I WISH I had spent it on a Master's program, because (a) I sank a lot of money into something that wasn't going to have any financial returns and (b) a master's is something I could have taken with me even outside of the classroom. It can also make you stand out as a candidate and will result in a higher wage from the get-go, which is definitely worth doing. It is, of course, possible that a school may not want you because of the higher wage--and getting a master's while teaching is often a favorable path for that reason--but I don't think it would totally preclude you from getting a job. And since you'll probably get a job (and will just want to be a little flexible about which school), I would go with the master's first.