do I need to finish my post-bacc program before I can begin applying to SLP schools???

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site (and new to SLP in general) so I could really use as much wisdom and recommendations from past graduate students as possible, specifically students who have completed a post-bacc program!

I graduated from UIUC with my bachelors in Human Development and Family Studies in May 2017 and I've recently decided I want to get my masters in SLP. Since my undergrad is in a non-CSD major, I am considering enrolling in a post-bacc program this upcoming fall in order to:

1) get caught up on some of the pre-reqs I'm definitely missing for certain programs, 

2) get started on some coursework anyways since I've missed deadlines for this fall's masters programs

3) hopefully improve my admission chances by having fewer pre-reqs to complete, might look appealing on an application compared to not having any (???)

Here's my question: While I'm taking these "leveling courses", can I simultaneously apply to graduate SLP programs? OR, do I need to wait until all my pre-req courses are completed/passed and THEN think about applying for SLP programs? Does it matter? 

Ideally, I would like to finish all my pre-reqs in one year (FA2018 ---> SU2019) and then transition straight into my master's program in Fall 2019. My major concern is that the admissions committees will not even know I'm taking leveling courses AS I'M SIMULTANEOUSLY applying for their programs, since most deadlines are in late fall/early winter. For those of you who have completed a year of leveling courses before going on to your master's program, how long did you wait before applying and what would you recommend doing? Are leveling courses worth it and do you think admissions committees take that into consideration while making their decisions?

Thanks everyone! :)

Why do you say they will not know that you are taking these courses? Most programs ask you to put courses you are currently taking/planned courses on your application, so I would assume the same would apply for post bacc people. I think leveling courses are absolutely worth it, as you will have more options if you already completed the pre reqs, whereas I could only apply to 3-year program (but that worked out for me anyway). I don't see why you couldn't apply at the same time, however I could be wrong.

Best of luck to you! :) 

Yeah, I applied to schools in the first semester of my post-bacc. You can definitely list ongoing coursework. Send an updated transcript after fall grades are posted. If you still need prereqs completed by the time you get a decision they'll just need you to send final transcripts when you're done. They might grant a conditional acceptance based on completing the prereqs, but my school gave me a regular acceptance.

11 hours ago, katiejSLP said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site (and new to SLP in general) so I could really use as much wisdom and recommendations from past graduate students as possible, specifically students who have completed a post-bacc program!

I graduated from UIUC with my bachelors in Human Development and Family Studies in May 2017 and I've recently decided I want to get my masters in SLP. Since my undergrad is in a non-CSD major, I am considering enrolling in a post-bacc program this upcoming fall in order to:

1) get caught up on some of the pre-reqs I'm definitely missing for certain programs, 

2) get started on some coursework anyways since I've missed deadlines for this fall's masters programs

3) hopefully improve my admission chances by having fewer pre-reqs to complete, might look appealing on an application compared to not having any (???)

Here's my question: While I'm taking these "leveling courses", can I simultaneously apply to graduate SLP programs? OR, do I need to wait until all my pre-req courses are completed/passed and THEN think about applying for SLP programs? Does it matter? 

Ideally, I would like to finish all my pre-reqs in one year (FA2018 ---> SU2019) and then transition straight into my master's program in Fall 2019. My major concern is that the admissions committees will not even know I'm taking leveling courses AS I'M SIMULTANEOUSLY applying for their programs, since most deadlines are in late fall/early winter. For those of you who have completed a year of leveling courses before going on to your master's program, how long did you wait before applying and what would you recommend doing? Are leveling courses worth it and do you think admissions committees take that into consideration while making their decisions?

Thanks everyone! :)

Yes you can.  Just keep in mind some schools require certain pre-reqs be completed before the program starts.