undergraduate coursework is lacking...

latebloomerca

I'm looking to apply to clinical psych programs. I graduated from an excellent state school but with an unrelated degree. Since leaving school I've taken several courses from a community college in psychology in order to attain a psychology GPA, meet minimums in terms of recommended number of courses before entering graduate school. In most other ways I have a strong application, I scored very well on the psychology GRE subject test, moderately well on the regular GRE (Q: 155, V: 164), as well as have several years of research experience (including as a coordinator) and some poster submissions. I also have clinical experience working with kids with autism.  I am worried that this coursework thing is going to bite me in the butt though. Anybody out there who did not major in psychology in undergrad able to provide some insight into this situation? Much appreciated!!!

Have you taken the pre-req courses required for the programs you're interested in? There are plenty of people who go into psych grad school without majoring in psych as an undergrad. Did you major in something somewhat related to what you are interested in doing research-wise?

If you are that worried about the lack of psych background, you can also apply to MA programs along with PhD programs. There are a few that provide funding as well. Search around this forum, as there have definitely been posts about that. 

9 hours ago, latebloomerca said:

I'm looking to apply to clinical psych programs. I graduated from an excellent state school but with an unrelated degree. Since leaving school I've taken several courses from a community college in psychology in order to attain a psychology GPA, meet minimums in terms of recommended number of courses before entering graduate school. In most other ways I have a strong application, I scored very well on the psychology GRE subject test, moderately well on the regular GRE (Q: 155, V: 164), as well as have several years of research experience (including as a coordinator) and some poster submissions. I also have clinical experience working with kids with autism.  I am worried that this coursework thing is going to bite me in the butt though. Anybody out there who did not major in psychology in undergrad able to provide some insight into this situation? Much appreciated!!!

I just got into a clinical psych phd program with a major in neuroscience. I'd taken a handful of classes in psych (minored in child psychology) but the majority of my coursework was biology, chemistry, physics, etc. I think you sound like a solid applicant, especially with all of your experience. My research experience, actually, was even somewhat unrelated because I did all of my research in animal models but I want to do human neuroimaging in grad school (and I will be doing that this fall). Some PIs didn't get it, but I did a good enough job selling myself in my statement and at interviews that I ultimately got into one of my top choices.

My biggest piece of advice to you is to just do a good job explaining in your personal statement how you came to psychology and then really highlight all your psychological experience. Your "unrelated" background might even make you a unique asset to a lab in some way (for example: my biology background allows me to be a good translational scientist because I can understand basic scientific research; an economics background could give you strong quant skills, etc.). I was completely honest that I initially didn't think I was going to go into clinical psychology, and really only figured that out late in undergrad. No one really seemed to mind because of my years of research, clinical, and volunteer experiences. 

12 hours ago, Hk328 said:

Have you taken the pre-req courses required for the programs you're interested in? There are plenty of people who go into psych grad school without majoring in psych as an undergrad. Did you major in something somewhat related to what you are interested in doing research-wise?

If you are that worried about the lack of psych background, you can also apply to MA programs along with PhD programs. There are a few that provide funding as well. Search around this forum, as there have definitely been posts about that. 

Yeah I have taken the prereqs required, but they have all been at community colleges (for credit, but still).

I'm not opposed to applying to funded MA programs, I guess just find it disappointing since I've been working as a lab coordinator for two years now, in the hopes of being competitive for a Ph.D program.

If you meet the pre-reqs and everything else in your application is strong, you should be ok. Just make sure to tie in the skills you bring with you from your undergrad major to your psych career in your SoP. A lot of skills from other disciplines can transfer to psych, so just make sure to address that. 

On 5/22/2018 at 7:32 AM, SarahTonin said:

I just got into a clinical psych phd program with a major in neuroscience. I'd taken a handful of classes in psych (minored in child psychology) but the majority of my coursework was biology, chemistry, physics, etc. I think you sound like a solid applicant, especially with all of your experience. My research experience, actually, was even somewhat unrelated because I did all of my research in animal models but I want to do human neuroimaging in grad school (and I will be doing that this fall). Some PIs didn't get it, but I did a good enough job selling myself in my statement and at interviews that I ultimately got into one of my top choices.

My biggest piece of advice to you is to just do a good job explaining in your personal statement how you came to psychology and then really highlight all your psychological experience. Your "unrelated" background might even make you a unique asset to a lab in some way (for example: my biology background allows me to be a good translational scientist because I can understand basic scientific research; an economics background could give you strong quant skills, etc.). I was completely honest that I initially didn't think I was going to go into clinical psychology, and really only figured that out late in undergrad. No one really seemed to mind because of my years of research, clinical, and volunteer experiences. 

I agree right here. Especially you said you scored very well on the GRE Psych, as long as you meet the programs’ prereqs, you absolutely sound like a solid candidate. Just make sure you really sell yourself in your personal statement!