CV Details

revesdephilosophie

So this is my main question, for PhD program applicants: do you include your GPA on your CV? I've found conflicting answers online and nothing recent enough to be helpful. My undergrad GPA is good, but my grad GPA is better, so in the past I've had both listed. I've been looking at CVs of grad students (and faculty, though that's less relevant) when available of the programs I'm applying to, and noticed that pretty much none of them had GPA listed. 

Some other questions, for those of you who don't mind answering (thanks, I appreciate it!) - 
- do you list professional memberships? (APA, etc.?)
- Do you count book reviews under publications, or list them in a separate section? Undergrad journals mentioned at all? What about non-philosophy publications (fiction/poetry/creative non-fiction, blog posts, journalism)?
- Do you list tutoring/internships/etc under teaching experience? What about if the subject matter isn't philosophy? Or if the students aren't/weren't in college?
- Would you enter study abroad as separate entries under "Education," under "Academic Experience," or some other heading?
- If you have undergrad or master's theses, how and where do you mention them?

More generally, I'm just curious how other philosophy grad applicants format their CVs, since all of the examples I'm working from are current or former grad students. What sort of subheadings do you use? What sort of non-philosophy experiences, etc. do you consider relevant and therefore include? How many references do you list, if any? 

Most programs I'm applying to have a CV requirement, but some ask that it only be one page (!!!) and some don't seem to have a place to submit one at all (!!!!). But still, for those of you who will be turning in a CV when they apply, I'd really be interested to know more about how it looks, since I don't really have any examples from current applicants, only current and former grad students, which is interesting, but not quite so helpful when making mine as an applicant. 

I am in a different field so I am not sure how relevant my admissions process is to you, but here is what I did.

I included my graduate GPA, research GPA, Honors GPA, and field specific GPA on my "Academic Resume" even though most of it was directly listed on my transcripts. It wasnt a list, just simply added it below the degree to emphasize it. I do not think it mattered in the long run (helping or hurting). I plan to remove them when I create a full on CV after the PhD since it becomes quite irrelevant.

I did list all of my professional memberships as well (it was the second to last section in mine). I had no book reviews, so I have no idea on how you include those. I would not include tutoring as teaching experience, but I would still add it as supplemental instruction (such as tutoring) is still important. I included my undergrad theses in mine. I put them under a section called: "Research Experience" and included it was an undergraduate honors capstone thesis. I listed the two titles and the year they were completed.

Last note: I only included things that I felt were justifiable to be in there and directly related to my success in the PhD program. It sorta looked like a resume CV hybrid to display research, teaching, and university service. With all of my things included it came out to being three full pages so I am not sure how you can possibly fit everything into one page.

Good luck!

• GPA: if you want to include one, include the most recent.
  • Professional membership: It doesn't hurt, should go at the end.
  • Since you don't have many publications, include the reviews there. Unless you have 10 peer-reviewed articles/chapters and 10 reviews. Otherwise you are just adding sections for no reason.
  • Include non-academic publications under "Non-Academic Publications" section. Think carefully if this is relevant. Example: do they reflect your public scholarship?
  • Teaching experience: Yes, be clear about what is what. Eg:
    • 2016 Fall semester tutoring biology 101. 
  • Study abroad: it will probably show up in your transcript. Why do you need it here? 
  • Theses: Under education. It should read like this:
    • Education
    • 2017 Master of Arts in Philosophy (GPA). thesis: "blah blah blah" 
    • 2015 Bachelor of Arts in Biology (Hons). thesis: "bleh bleh bleh"

Remember the CV is an argumentative text. Think why you want to add stuff. Do not add things for the sake of adding because it makes the AC wonder why those things are there. Example: if you did a study abroad in France and you want to study French philosophy, then you can include it under education (not as separate, just as a note clarifying one semester abroad in France). You will also mention this in your SoP, arguing for your readiness to begin a PhD. 

This is important:

34 minutes ago, Sandmaster said:

Last note: I only included things that I felt were justifiable to be in there and directly related to my success in the PhD program. It sorta looked like a resume CV hybrid to display research, teaching, and university service. With all of my things included it came out to being three full pages so I am not sure how you can possibly fit everything into one page.

Make your CV a document that supports and complements your SoP.