UNC Chapel Hill

St. Jude

I'm guessing that there's still no news at your end? I need to find out soon so that I can arrange my travel (one more month left before decision day!). But it looks like it's not going to happen.

Has any of the accepted posters here paid UNC a visit? If so, what were your impressions?

Edited by newday123

I'm visiting next week (their recruit weekend is Friday and Saturday), but I'm from NC and had a ton of friends that went there for undergrad, so I love the campus and Chapel Hill. I've had really positive email correspondences with current grad students since my acceptance (even one that wasn't "assigned" to talk to me). I haven't heard anything from any professors, but I guess I'll meet them next weekend. Hopefully most people who are on the fence will make up their minds after this visit and give people on the waitlist more of an idea of where they stand. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting!

To the poster who received two different admissions status e-mails: Sorry about what you had to go through! Did you call the office to confirm your true status?

It seems that UNC does accept people in rounds. So news can come at any time.

I haven't heard anything either. I am assuming it's a no? Let me know what they say!

Last week I e-mailed them about my status and so far have heard nothing. Since some people have already been accepted or rejected, I think that we're on the waitlist.

To those who went to the admit weekend: how was your visit and your general impression of the program?

I attended the recruit events over the weekend. I had a really great time, the weekend was well organized, the grad students that we met were really friendly, and I got a sense that the whole department really wanted to help us make the best decision for ourselves, rather than convince us to attend UNC.

For people that haven't heard, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, and I don't really have any insider knowledge, but I did not get the sense that they will be making any more acceptances. I know that they are looking for a cohort of about 12, and 4 people had already committed as of the start of the weekend. There were close to 20 accepted students in attendance, and I was told 5-8 international students/others that were not able to attend, but had already been accepted. Based on my conversations, it seemed as though several of the visiting students were leaning heavily towards UNC (myself included). So, it seems as though the odds are not in favor of the department needing to draw anyone from the waitlist, but, again, there may be many factors that I'm not aware of. Anyway, good luck to everyone, either at UNC or in another department!

Good to hear that you had a nice experience at Chapel Hill. I am sure the weather was a big factor:)

I am not keeping my hopes up. I am a bit annoyed with their lack of communication. I would like to commit to a program and put this whole thing behind me. It does not feel right to accept an offer before I've received all of my responses. If we are indeed on a waitlist, although we have no chance of being accepted, perhaps we should not be ignored by the department.

Yes, the weather was a huge plus (especially since I'll be in freezing Pennsylvania this weekend). I agree that it is really annoying and unnecessary for the department to leave people hanging like this. I actually felt that they didn't do the best job of communicating with me, as an accepted student, either. I had a great experience meeting faculty over the weekend, but didn't hear from them at all before then. Anyway, I will be making my final decision after I've finished my visits next week, hopefully others will do the same and everyone still waiting will hear soon.

Yes, the weather was a huge plus (especially since I'll be in freezing Pennsylvania this weekend). I agree that it is really annoying and unnecessary for the department to leave people hanging like this. I actually felt that they didn't do the best job of communicating with me, as an accepted student, either. I had a great experience meeting faculty over the weekend, but didn't hear from them at all before then. Anyway, I will be making my final decision after I've finished my visits next week, hopefully others will do the same and everyone still waiting will hear soon.

I very much appreciate your update.

I actually got into another program that, I think, is a better fit and provides a good funding package. So I actually feel relatively okay about the non-response from UNC.