Do schools mail out acceptances by regular mail?

martizzle

I know they definitely send out rejections by regular mail (I got two of those this year :( ). But do ad comms send out acceptances by regular mail?

This will definitely save me all the hassle of going to the mail box at 4pm sharp everyday lol

Both of my acceptances came by snail mail with no other contact. 2 rejections by mail, one by e-mail. There's not really a consistent pattern, although you could look through the results from last year and see how people were contacted. Good luck!

It varies from program to program and, as suggested above, you can find out what your programs did in previous years by looking at the results page. I'd venture a guess that in most cases there is some (email or phone) contact prior to getting the official letter in the mail, but that's not always the case. I guess that in general, the bigger the program, the less chances of personalized contact.

Perhaps snail mail is considered by some programs to be more official.

All my rejection and acceptance notices were via email this year, except for the University of Wisconsin, which sent a nice rejection letter in the mail.

Like others said check the results page.

I've found found that PhD applicants usually get a personal call or personalized email first since there aren't that many accepted. But as a formality schools will send them a letter later. When I see a letter in the mailbox or a generic "check your status on our webpage email" I already know it's a rejection.

idk....perhaps to keep USPS in business lol

I can understand local students with local addresses getting snail mail, but what about overseas applicants with overseas addresses?

I just got accepted at Sarah Lawrence for an MFA in Theatre Arts and they sent me the notification by mail, although all other communication was through e-mail. I think it just depends on the program and how many people they are accepting, to be honest. I would have appreciated a phone call, but since they weren't really my top choice, I'm okay with just the letter.