NYU MA in International Relations

ir10

I just got an admission letter from NYU for an MA in International Relations in the Dept. of Poltiics (Grad. School of Arts & Sciences). I actually don't know a lot about the program and wanted to reach out to the board for your thoughts.

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the program on here, but that said, does anyone know anything about the MA or about the Dept. of Politics in general? Good reputation? Since this MA isn't professionally oriented like SAIS, SIPA, SIS, etc., does it make financial sense if I'm not going to continue on to Ph.D.? The course selections sound interesteing, but will employers care about this thing? Is it just a cash cow for NYU? Thanks.

I heard that some UN employees like to take courses there.  But that's just hearsay.  

It is situated in NY, and while it doesn't have the reptutation of SIPA/SAIS, everyone knows about the NYU name (esp it's Law school.)

But if you want my personal opinion about NYU, the bachelors program seems like a huge cash cow for rich kids that want to reenact Friends/Gossip Girl.  (I'm about to get seriously flamed by NYU undergrads right now.)

The professional schools on the otherhand: NYU Law, NYU Med, and Stern are great programs and well worth their tuition.  

I just got an admission letter from NYU for an MA in International Relations in the Dept. of Poltiics (Grad. School of Arts & Sciences). I actually don't know a lot about the program and wanted to reach out to the board for your thoughts.

I haven't seen a lot of discussion about the program on here, but that said, does anyone know anything about the MA or about the Dept. of Politics in general? Good reputation? Since this MA isn't professionally oriented like SAIS, SIPA, SIS, etc., does it make financial sense if I'm not going to continue on to Ph.D.? The course selections sound interesteing, but will employers care about this thing? Is it just a cash cow for NYU? Thanks.

ir10,

I applied the same program, but haven't heard about anything yet. How did you find out the decision?

ir10,

I applied the same program, but haven't heard about anything yet. How did you find out the decision?

I got an email letter this afternoon from one of the GSAS deans saying I was admitted, but with no funding. I'll be getting the same letter in the mail with additional info about enrolling.

I was recently admitted as well. Does anyone else know anything about this program? I don't really think there has been alot of talk about it.

I got accepted to the International Relations program also.

I have a friend from undergrad who just graduated from NYU with a concentration in Political Economy. From her words, NYU is more academic & theory based rather than policy focused as SIPA and SAIS. Most of her colleagues in grad school were hoping to pursue a PhD after graduation and so was she until she decided to change track.

I'm definitely weighing the pros and cons but haven't heard back from any of the DC schools yet. Argh~

I got accepted to the International Relations program also.

I have a friend from undergrad who just graduated from NYU with a concentration in Political Economy. From her words, NYU is more academic & theory based rather than policy focused as SIPA and SAIS. Most of her colleagues in grad school were hoping to pursue a PhD after graduation and so was she until she decided to change track.

I'm definitely weighing the pros and cons but haven't heard back from any of the DC schools yet. Argh~

I've also been admitted to the IR program at NYU and feel like I don't know enough about it. I am waiting to hear back from DC schools but also have an acceptance from Maxwell at Syracuse University. I feel like the program at Maxwell would give me more (I can specialize in Global development for example and can also choose to focus on a region) but a the same time I 'm wondering if the NYU name is better known/more respected. Thoughts ?

I've also been admitted to the IR program at NYU and feel like I don't know enough about it. I am waiting to hear back from DC schools but also have an acceptance from Maxwell at Syracuse University. I feel like the program at Maxwell would give me more (I can specialize in Global development for example and can also choose to focus on a region) but a the same time I 'm wondering if the NYU name is better known/more respected. Thoughts ?

Yea, I'm with you on that one regarding name value. Although I didn't apply to Maxwell I know that they have a great program. For me, I wanted to be as close to DC or NY, where it all goes down, as possible.

But, if you are planning to work in the policy field than Maxwell might be a better fit. For my friend, she's now in Malaysia working for the private sector so I guess it comes down to what our plans are after graduation.