Stanford IPS?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of this program. I applied to it purely on a recommendation from an advisor (I wanted to make him happy since he was writing my LORs) and have no idea about the program.

SIPA was my top choice until I received a very polite letter stating that although I had impressive academic achievements, I was too young (I am barely 21 and still in undergrad) and should apply again next year after gaining experience. This concerns me since my other two schools are GWU and Georgetown and both of them have average age of around 26. I believe IPS is a bit easier to get into (?) and looks like my best bet at the moment.

Has anyone else applied to the IPS program and have heard back?

OMG have you heard back already? I am waiting quite anxiously. it is one of my favourite program...

i think it is one of the most academically rigorous programs around. each concentartion is tied to one of stanford's research center. i think this program is excellant for people who aspire to join one of those think tanks...

the pre-requistes are really crazy though: intermediate micro+mac+international trade+international finance+ advance stats class...

i am an econ major and have to take a class on intl finance just to fulfil the pre-requisite... i would really love to attend the program...

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of this program. I applied to it purely on a recommendation from an advisor (I wanted to make him happy since he was writing my LORs) and have no idea about the program.

SIPA was my top choice until I received a very polite letter stating that although I had impressive academic achievements, I was too young (I am barely 21 and still in undergrad) and should apply again next year after gaining experience. This concerns me since my other two schools are GWU and Georgetown and both of them have average age of around 26. I believe IPS is a bit easier to get into (?) and looks like my best bet at the moment.

Has anyone else applied to the IPS program and have heard back?

Sorry if my post was misleading sky_blue, I haven't heard anything from IPS yet. Judging by last year's schedule though I would say next week will be most likely.

Right now, I am just trying to get some info on the program since I will be gone for about a month beginning next week. Such a critical time in terms of notifications and I won't be able to check my status very often :(

i can't wait anymore and emailed the office.

apparently, decisions would be sent out today and on Monday. not sure if it would be by email or snail mail though....hopefully it is the former!

Sorry if my post was misleading sky_blue, I haven't heard anything from IPS yet. Judging by last year's schedule though I would say next week will be most likely.

Right now, I am just trying to get some info on the program since I will be gone for about a month beginning next week. Such a critical time in terms of notifications and I won't be able to check my status very often :(

i can't wait anymore and emailed the office.

apparently, decisions would be sent out today and on Monday. not sure if it would be by email or snail mail though....hopefully it is the former!

Ah!!! They do snail mail. Which means that I won't find out until I come back in April. My letter will be sitting in a box for almost a month :o

Hey, for those accepted to IPS, did you have all of their four class prereqs (micro econ, macro econ, calc based stats, international econ) already completed when you submitted the application? Also, curious about what kind of work experience you had and if you had any research experience (i.e. undergrad thesis). Thanks!

Hey, for those accepted to IPS, did you have all of their four class prereqs (micro econ, macro econ, calc based stats, international econ) already completed when you submitted the application? Also, curious about what kind of work experience you had and if you had any research experience (i.e. undergrad thesis). Thanks!

Hi,

I was admitted to the IPS program and I did completed all the requirements as an undergraduate. I conducted research abroad during my senior year along with a thesis. I worked several years in the U.S. and Asia in the business sector. Hope that helps.

Oh ok thanks! What percentage of the incoming class would you guess took a couple of the prereq courses (especially calc based stats and international econ) after they were admitted? I am really interested in IPS but haven't completed those courses and wouldn't likely be able to until after admitted. I have taken calc and stats in college and gotten "A"s and did well on the math GRE but I'm still uncertain if this will matter much. I know you're not an admissions officer or have a crystal ball but in your opinoin do you think an applicant stands a significantly lower chance of admission if they haven't completed all the prereq courses? I'm also curious what the admit rate is if you happen to have a guestimate. Thanks!

i have been admitted too but i applied directly from undergraduate.

in my opinion, you don't have to complete all of them, but you need to complete most of them, especially intermediate micro and macro. i applied with grades in intermediate micro, macro, econometrics and intl trade theory. i was taking intl finance when i was applying.

the letter stated clearly that we must proof that we have completed the course before we can enroll. this is because all the first year courses assumed you have solid background in maths/stats and economics. IPS sure takes these requirements very seriously. hence, having completed the majority of requirements help convince the adcomms that you will be ready by the time you enroll. if you are really serious about applying for this program, i strongly recommend you try and complete intermediate mirco and macro at least.

hope this helps!

Oh ok thanks! What percentage of the incoming class would you guess took a couple of the prereq courses (especially calc based stats and international econ) after they were admitted? I am really interested in IPS but haven't completed those courses and wouldn't likely be able to until after admitted. I have taken calc and stats in college and gotten "A"s and did well on the math GRE but I'm still uncertain if this will matter much. I know you're not an admissions officer or have a crystal ball but in your opinoin do you think an applicant stands a significantly lower chance of admission if they haven't completed all the prereq courses? I'm also curious what the admit rate is if you happen to have a guestimate. Thanks!