New School

sisyphus-who?

What's the deal?

They said the TENTH. It is the ELEVENTH.

=[

I'm not in philosophy, I'm in poli sci, but they told me the 10th too. They also told me letters for my program were already mailed out this week, but I haven't seen anyone reporting any results. There also appears to be some screwing around in the results regarding the philosophy Ph.D. So I don't know! It's insanity all around. They were my top choice, but I got a full ride somewhere else and I just don't think they're going to come through with funding for a master's degree. But I still want their decision nonetheless.

What's the deal?

They said the TENTH. It is the ELEVENTH.

=[

Looks like a few people posted in the results about the MA Philosophy program...did you hear back yet? (A lot of us are waiting on the New School still from various programs dry.gif)

• 11 months later...

My professor gave me some advice about waiting for responses: "getting back to you is never as important to them as it is to you". Like, sometimes they even delay getting out acceptances, or shove files away and forget about them. Depressing, but try to relax if you can. Okay to be honest, I'm not relaxed at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just received a mailed acceptance to the New School for Social Research for the MA in Philosophy (with minor in psychoanalysis) beginning in Fall 2011.

I also received a 33%-merit based scholarship.

The faculty at the New School is simply unmatched (Crary, Critchley, Bass) and living in NYC would be a dream.

But, I am note sure paying tuition + living in NYC is financially feasible.

Has anyone else heard anything?

What are your thoughts on the school, particularly job prospects after graduating?

Is anyone heading to the reception on March 24th?

Good luck to all who are still waiting to hear!

Hello all,

I just received a mailed acceptance to the New School for Social Research for the MA in Philosophy (with minor in psychoanalysis) beginning in Fall 2011.

The faculty at the New School is simply unmatched (Crary, Critchley, Bass) and living in NYC would be a dream.

What are your thoughts on the school, particularly job prospects after graduating?

I will be there on March 24. I live in NY and got in philosophy at NSSR. I am happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an acceptance with a 33% scholarship this morning. As an international (Chinese) student, I think the financial aid is understandable given the general economic climate and the notoriety (kidding ^^) of NSSR. But I will seriously consider whether to accept this offer and pay the school $20k for the first year and perhaps $160k for 8 years, and to live in New York for that long! The strategy of the leftist school is to proletariatize prospective critics.

Hello all,

I got an acceptance with a 33% scholarship this morning. As an international (Chinese) student, I think the financial aid is understandable given the general economic climate and the notoriety (kidding ^^) of NSSR. But I will seriously consider whether to accept this offer and pay the school $20k for the first year and perhaps $160k for 8 years, and to live in New York for that long! The strategy of the leftist school is to proletariatize prospective critics.

I would love to attend NSSR for philosophy, but I can't ignore the fact that there are 100 current students. And even if you include visiting and adjunct instructors, the student to faculty ratio is, best-case scneario, 5:1. Limited funding, an expensive city, a high number of students, such an unfavorable ratio, the 8+ year degree, the fact that NS is now cashing in on online degrees.... why would I increase my current student debt by tenfold? I've been working full-time to fund my *undergraduate* degree; supporting myself at NSSR is unfathomable.

Edited by Billy Dean