Can someone please help me out

PJ9911

I have a concern.

I am in final year student of Mechanical Engineering. I wish to apply for Masters program in Physics.

I have no prior experience in research in physics. However, I am currently preparing for GRE General and GRE Physics Subject tests.

Assuming I get good scores in both the tests, what other things do I need to get admissions in good grad schools?

P.S. My long term goal is to get a PhD.

With an M.E. background, you'll have taken Calculus I, II, & III, as well as differential equations and University Physics I & II.

Have you taken a course in PDEs as well? If not, your graduate program will probably allow you to take it during your first year.

I looked at a few US universities and what their admissions requirements are for a Physics masters. It appears they like to see that you've had a course in classical & quantum mechanics, an E&M course and maybe an upper-division laboratory course as well. Since you're taking the GRE and Physics GRE, and assuming you do well, that will likely go a long way in showing the admissions committee that you're capable of handling graduate-level physics.

That said, they'll most likely require you in your first year of study to take these undergrad courses just to bring you up to speed.

Good luck!

Edited by Steven Scott