Wagner MPP/MPA 2008

hopeful grad

Hi unknown, how are u recently?

actually on NYU wagner's website, it s said that the application is on a rolling basis and applicants should apply earlier. So maybe it means not the most qualified applicant got the acceptance news first? I got my admissions news several weeks ago but so far haven't heard anything abt the funding. Last week I called them and was told the funding decision will go out before the end of March.

About the Jan 15 deadline, maybe u should explain the technical problems to the wagner admissions officer? I think they'll understand it. you know i also had the same problem when I appiled to michigan and the admissions staff gave me an extension.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I went to the Wagner event in LA last night. Funding decisions will not be sent out until March 30th. I am not sure if this is electronically or via snail mail, but I assume its the first one given the quick decision turnaround time. Hope this helps.

Hi unknown, how are u recently?

actually on NYU wagner's website, it s said that the application is on a rolling basis and applicants should apply earlier. So maybe it means not the most qualified applicant got the acceptance news first? I got my admissions news several weeks ago but so far haven't heard anything abt the funding. Last week I called them and was told the funding decision will go out before the end of March.

About the Jan 15 deadline, maybe u should explain the technical problems to the wagner admissions officer? I think they'll understand it. you know i also had the same problem when I appiled to michigan and the admissions staff gave me an extension.

Doing well,OD, thanks!

If I'm accepted I think I will ask them. Good idea! I'm so swamped with fellowship apps and my upcoming LSAT prep course that I just don't have any spare time to beg for financial aid if I'm not even accepted (plus I'm waiting around for you all to make your MPP decisions...especially those of you who got into Gtown...so they can give me some extra consideration :wink: :wink: :wink: )

Hi all,

Hope everyone is feeling cool and collected about this whole process. Me, I'm wondering when that financial aid letter will ever come. Has anyone else heard anything? I visited the open house in NYC and really liked the program, but I don't want to let myself get too excited about it until I have a sense of the financial side.

I called again today. She said the end of the month but seemed unsure if they were sending out emails or snail mail - I also asked about housing information and she said that would come with the financial aid package/acceptance letters. Seems like they will send it out by Monday but I am also REALLY anxious and it could still be another week before we get info.

Hello everyone. I also received an email for 75% scholarship tuition. The most interesting thing is the special note that there will be additional funding for those selected to be Graduate Assistants or Teaching Assistants. For those that did not receive aid, I would call and ask about these/express your interest. I am curious how much money comes with these positions. I know that at Cal a graduate assistantship is essentially funding for the year. Good luck to everyone!

I am considering a loan, but a small one to say the least. I do not want to be in major debt when I am done with my schooling. In terms of stats, I went to a UC for undergrad and graduated in 2007, published, 2 post-undergrad jobs at policy firms, lots of relevant internships/fellowships, and I am a PPIA fellow.

Hello,

To follow up on my post: I too heard from Wagner this weekend, and was offered a 50% tuition scholarship. I was very happy-- it's nice to know the school is trying to work with my financial situation-- though when I woke up this morning it occurred to me that we're still talking a substantial chunk of change. I guess that reading funding posts by the PhD students has made me a bit jealous!

easymack63, I am in the very same situation. I have not heard from wagner yet, even though I applied by the deadline. I called up the admissions office and the lady told me I should hear by Wednesday and when I asked whether my not hearing from them meant a rejection, she said that certainly it was not the case. I think she said it because no one likes to be the bearer of bad news. In my opinion, they notify first those who got funding, then those who were admitted and they leave the rejected ones for the very end. I wish I were wrong. Let me know when you hear from them, because this waiting is extremely frustrating.

SO... I just called and basically forced her to look at my individual file and tell me what is going on. In her words, "the admissions committee is in the final stages of reviewing your file" and they should forward the results to the admissions office soon. I should hear in the next few days, I guess. She also said that they switched from a computer-based system to a paper-based one, so everything has taken longer than expected. I dont know.

hey easymack!

this is becoming ridiculous. we both applied by the scholarship deadline. how come they have reached decisions on other apps and not on ours? i am very annoyed. please let me know when you hear something from them. i'll do likewise.

Im sorry easymack. It is really outrageous that they've kept you waiting so long and that they keep me waiting even longer! i still havent heard from them but at this point, Im not even looking forward to hearing from them as I'm pretty sure I'll be rejected. Still, I annoyed by the waiting.

I am so frustrated with this whole thing...and decision time is coming! I STILL haven't received any information about financial aid. I am thinking maybe I should just re-apply in a few years instead of stressing about being broke and in debt. Can someone just make my decisions for me?

Hi everyone,

The decision deadline is fast approaching, and I still haven't made up my mind about attending Wagner. I think it's a great program, but after visiting I was struck by the program's close ties to city government-- it seems to be an incubator for municipal jobs, and the related constellation of NGOs. Me, I'm hoping to take a slightly different path, working in journalism or communications (with an urban focus), and not necessarily in New York.

So I was wondering, what are the rest of you thinking? Have you made up your mind about attending Wagner? What are you hoping to do with the degree?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up declining. It was turning me crazy waiting for information and trying to get questions answered. I knew I'd incur massive debt and no one could tell me the chances of getting any funding in my second year. I decided to, instead, pursue my masters in higher ed and policy since I eventually want to get my PhD and teach. Astoundingly, when I've been in contact with this school, they have actually asked for my phone number and called me to discuss any questions. It means a lot when faculty go out of their way to help! Best of luck to all of you, this has been quite the interesting journey....