Non-CSD Related Coursework Required by ASHA

Hi, everyone! I'm an out-of-field applicant who needs to complete a post-bacc program still yet, but I'm a bit confused about ASHA's requirements for non-related coursework in addition to each grad school's CSD prerequisites. While I know that many schools don't require these courses to be completed before beginning a post-bacc, I'd prefer to get them out of the way at a community college before signing up for an official post-bacc. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to take chem AND physics courses? Or can I choose one? 

2) Some schools list A&P instead of biology, but A&P isn't listed on ASHA's website as satisfying the biological science requirement. Should I plan to take A&P too?

4) Does anyone know if there are grade cut-offs or expiration dates for these courses? Would you recommend retaking the courses just for familiarity purposes?

I graduated in 2016 with a B.S. in International Business and a B.A. in Spanish. I went to a liberal arts school, so I ended up taking one psych course and a stats course as well. My grades in both stats and psych were just OK. I'm sure that I could do well if I took the courses again, but I'd love to save the money if possible (especially if it's not necessary to have an A in both courses). Any advice would be appreciated!

4 hours ago, carla_ said:

Hi, everyone! I'm an out-of-field applicant who needs to complete a post-bacc program still yet, but I'm a bit confused about ASHA's requirements for non-related coursework in addition to each grad school's CSD prerequisites. While I know that many schools don't require these courses to be completed before beginning a post-bacc, I'd prefer to get them out of the way at a community college before signing up for an official post-bacc. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to take chem AND physics courses? Or can I choose one? 

2) Some schools list A&P instead of biology, but A&P isn't listed on ASHA's website as satisfying the biological science requirement. Should I plan to take A&P too?

4) Does anyone know if there are grade cut-offs or expiration dates for these courses? Would you recommend retaking the courses just for familiarity purposes?

I graduated in 2016 with a B.S. in International Business and a B.A. in Spanish. I went to a liberal arts school, so I ended up taking one psych course and a stats course as well. My grades in both stats and psych were just OK. I'm sure that I could do well if I took the courses again, but I'd love to save the money if possible (especially if it's not necessary to have an A in both courses). Any advice would be appreciated!

There are four ASHA required courses. You can take physics or chemistry, but both are not required. Unless you want to take A&P, do not take it in place of a bio course. In your post-bacc or grad program you will be required to take A&P of the vocal mechanism, so I don't think it's necessary to take a general course on that. When I asked two of my schools for clarification on ASHA required courses, they said that as long as the course has Bio, chem, or physics in the course name, they will accept it. For example I took BIO123 and CHEM100 to fulfill my requirements (along with PSYC and STAT). There is no expiration date on courses, just the GRE. It is not necessary to get As in the courses, but of course that would be best. 

Good luck and hope that helps! 

Edited by Felice

21 minutes ago, Felice said:

There are four ASHA required courses. You can take physics or chemistry, but both are not required. Unless you want to take A&P, do not take it in place of a bio course. In your post-bacc or grad program you will be required to take A&P of the vocal mechanism, so I don't think it's necessary to take a general course on that. When I asked two of my schools for clarification on ASHA required courses, they said that as long as the course has Bio, chem, or physics in the course name, they will accept it. For example I took BIO123 and CHEM100 to fulfill my requirements (along with PSYC and STAT). There is no expiration date on courses, just the GRE. It is not necessary to get As in the courses, but of course that would be best. 

Good luck and hope that helps! 

Thank you for the response! This is a huge help. I also see that you accepted an offer at U of Arizona -- congratulations! Do you mind my asking what type of post-bacc you completed?

6 hours ago, carla_ said:

Thank you for the response! This is a huge help. I also see that you accepted an offer at U of Arizona -- congratulations! Do you mind my asking what type of post-bacc you completed?

Glad I could help you! Thank you :). I did not complete a post-bacc, instead I will be in their 3-year master's program, in which I will complete the prereqs during the first year. 

You’re going to have to take A&P but is going to be for hearing and speech. Regular A&P isn’t an ASHA requirement. 

I got a B- in stats lol ... I’m not retaking it. I took prerequisites which helped my GPA a little bit and I’m pretty sure that’s what they looked at when my app was reviewed vs my undergraduate coursework. 

I didnt do a real post bacc program, but I did take all of the prerequisites I could at Georgia State so I could get the in-state tuition rate while working and building my application materials (securing recommendations LoL). These are the classes I took .... 

Phonetics

Voice & Articulation

A&P of Speech and Hearing

Intro to Hearing Sciences and Disorders

Intro to Communication Disorders

Language Development 

Special Education for Teachers 

18 hours ago, Felice said:

Glad I could help you! Thank you :). I did not complete a post-bacc, instead I will be in their 3-year master's program, in which I will complete the prereqs during the first year. 

Gotcha! Good for you. Best of luck!

8 hours ago, HoneyBee03 said:

You’re going to have to take A&P but is going to be for hearing and speech. Regular A&P isn’t an ASHA requirement. 

I got a B- in stats lol ... I’m not retaking it. I took prerequisites which helped my GPA a little bit and I’m pretty sure that’s what they looked at when my app was reviewed vs my undergraduate coursework. 

I didnt do a real post bacc program, but I did take all of the prerequisites I could at Georgia State so I could get the in-state tuition rate while working and building my application materials (securing recommendations LoL). These are the classes I took .... 

Phonetics

Voice & Articulation

A&P of Speech and Hearing

Intro to Hearing Sciences and Disorders

Intro to Communication Disorders

Language Development 

Special Education for Teachers 

Hey! Thanks for the response. Good to hear general A&P isn't required -- that's one less class to worry about haha. I'm also planning on taking prerequisites on a class-by-class basis instead of an official post-bacc so that I can work in the meantime. It's a lot of cross-checking since each school is different. Congrats on completing yours!!