Deferring Admission

bluellie

I have one acceptance (but no funding) from an out-of-state school which allows me to defer admission for up to one year. I'm still waiting on 4 other programs. Should I be rejected from my top choice, I'm tempted to reapply the following year. Is it bad form to defer acceptance to this one school and see if I can get into my top choice during the 2011 application season? I would, of course, inform them that I would not be attending in April of next year if I did end up deferring.

Is this done? Or am I trying to have my cake and eat it too?

Edited by bluellie

I'm curious to hear about this too. I'm thinking of deferring at NYU or Columbia for a year to save up money while also applying to cheaper programs in case I still can't afford it. Does your program require that you send in your deposit to save your spot for 2011? Mine does, though I'm not sure if this is legally binding or not.

Edited by TerriM

I'm pretty sure that by deferring you are agreeing to attend there and may not apply to other programs or attend any other school during your deferral year. This is what I have always heard for undergraduate at least; maybe it's different for graduate.

Really though, that seems kind of a sketchy thing to do. If you aren't excited about going to this school, then you probably shouldn't string them along like that. If you did get into your top school next year then you would lose the respect of some people in your field for how you treated them, and (possibly even worse) the adcomm to your top school may see next year that you accepted an offer the year before and deferred and that could seriously hurt your application.

I'm pretty sure that by deferring you are agreeing to attend there and may not apply to other programs or attend any other school during your deferral year. This is what I have always heard for undergraduate at least; maybe it's different for graduate.

Really though, that seems kind of a sketchy thing to do. If you aren't excited about going to this school, then you probably shouldn't string them along like that. If you did get into your top school next year then you would lose the respect of some people in your field for how you treated them, and (possibly even worse) the adcomm to your top school may see next year that you accepted an offer the year before and deferred and that could seriously hurt your application.

I do not agree. Not all people who defer do so to try to get into another program next year while enjoying the security of having a back-up. While I am excited about my acceptance to Program A, I am considering a deferral as an option because there is no way that I can afford to go there without some sort of funding or going into debt. I explained my situation to my potential advisor and he is very understanding. People's circumstances change. This is especially true when you have a family. Things could change quite unexpectedly. I believe that as long as I'm honest and open people would understand.

By deferring you are agreeing that within a year you will attend this university. Only way out of it is if you request and they grant you a release. I would not defer unless you really planned on attending the university. If not you could be in violation of conduct at any university and be kicked out unless they release you.

By deferring you are agreeing that within a year you will attend this university. Only way out of it is if you request and they grant you a release. I would not defer unless you really planned on attending the university. If not you could be in violation of conduct at any university and be kicked out unless they release you.

May I ask for your reference please? As far as I understand a deferral means that your acceptance is valid for another year and that you do not need to reapply. You still need to accept/defer that offer by April 15, 2011.

Not all people who defer do so to try to get into another program next year while enjoying the security of having a back-up.

But are you applying to other schools in the hope of getting funding elsewhere? If so, then this is exactly what you're doing. Whether it's because you're unhappy with the funding, the faculty, the location, or whatever isn't really relevant. Definitely don't think that nobody at that program will be upset about it; it's a risky move for sure, and it's impossible to clear it with everyone who matters. Some faculty who say now that it's okay will completely turn on you if you actually go somewhere else next year. Do not underestimate academic politics.

Every program has a different approach to deferral. There are a number of programs that do not allow deferrals - you have to reapply if you do not accept the offer of admission. Some programs consider a deferral a binding contract between you and the university, and you can't apply elsewhere (in law school, this actually becomes an ethics violation and can cause you to have trouble when you go for your board exam.) Other programs understand that in the case of a deferral due to finances, you may not be able to attend without aid, and will not hold it against you if you also apply elsewhere in hope of a better financial award. It all depends on the individual nature of the university- and sometimes even the program - in question.

You really need to consult the university in question. Talk to the DGS and/or the head of your program and find out what it and isn't acceptable. They are not going to automatically revoke your acceptance for asking about the process.