What to do: Apt or Parent's Home?

So I got accepted into this great graduate school and it turns out that it is in the large city next to my home town. My parents are very understanding on letting me choose what I want to do, but I am at a loss. Should I live at home with my parents for graduate school (about 30-45 minute drive to school) or should I get my own apt? On the one hand, living at home will save me a lot of money and I have a dog, so my parents will be able to watch him when I cant. On the other hand, I will be far away from school and have to commute in, and socially, I am not sure that I will be able to spend a lot of time outside the classroom with my cohort because I live so far away. I am 21 years old, so I am young enough that living at home isn't out of the question, but I really dont know what to do. Any advice, suggestions, comments?

I am going to say it depends on a combination of data points - do you get along with your parents? would you have a car and are you comfortable driving home in the night? how good are you at making friends and interacting socially? I actually don't think that a 40-minute commute is that crazy, mine is 30 minutes each way (and I live in the same city as where I go to school), and it's no problem going out with classmates or staying late to work on an assignment. If you have a car then you are free to come and go as you please. Really the biggest question is if you feel that you can live at home or do you need that extra freedom that comes from living alone?

At the same time - how hard is it to find an apartment in the city? how much money would you be saving by living at home? one thing I've learned about housing markets around universities is that the prices are significantly lower off season. If you decide to stay at home at least for a while and look for a place a month or two after the semester starts, you could save a large amount on your rent.

Personally, I would choose the apartment. However, nothing says you have to start out living in an apartment right when you start school. If you're not sure, stay with your parents. If you change your mind you can always get an apartment later.

The alternate would work, too, as long as you don't sign a long-term lease. (That is, to get an apartment, and if it doesn't work out, move home.)

Get an apartment, ideally with a roommate that's in another graduate program. That way, you'll have someone that understands what grad school entails but how can also motivate you to go out and do things. And, your parents can watch your dog when you go out of town (or, if you get a roommate, the roommate may be able to).

Get an apartment, ideally with a roommate that's in another graduate program. That way, you'll have someone that understands what grad school entails but how can also motivate you to go out and do things. And, your parents can watch your dog when you go out of town (or, if you get a roommate, the roommate may be able to).

Free place to live with petsitter? Hell, I'll live with your parents if you don't want to!

Free place to live with petsitter? Hell, I'll live with your parents if you don't want to!

+1.

The very fact that you're considering it seriously tells me that you get along well with your parents and would not be uncomfortable living there and they would give you your space and freedom. About socializing with your cohort, not too much happens anyway during the week. You are going to have a lot of work..the only socializing people do are on Friday nights/breaks which you can do too if you have a car. So I wouldn't worry about the commute or the socializing. The only question is if you think you would be comfortable living with your parents (and equally importantly, if they would be too) and if you think you would have the right atmosphere there to get all your work done. If all these criteria are satisfied, I see no reason to spend $500 a month for 5 years (=$30000). Give that money away to charity if you don't care for it! :P