Full Ride at Korbel vs partial tuition Fletcher/Syracuse, Advice Please!

Hi everyone,

I'm having a dilemma after getting into Korbel 100% tuition scholarship for 2 years and then getting an acceptance at Fletcher with a 9k scholarship. I also got into Syracuse but haven't heard about fin aid. I'm interested in International Security with a focus on the Middle East and was wondering if anyone though it would be worth going into 60-70k debt for Fletcher with this interest in mind. Are the education, reputation and connections at Fletcher that much better? Would Syracuse be worth it? Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Are you State Department bound? Having no debt would be nice to buffer any failed attempts at entrance. Otherwise, if I were in your situation, I'd go with the higher ranked school and take on the debt.

Man, that's a tough call. I think having the better name and contacts of Fletcher would be worth it, but having all that debt taken care of would be really nice.

I would examine the profiles of their students, get in touch with students from both schools, ideally ones studying the same things you would be, closely analyze their coursework, talk to or email any high level professional contacts you have and ask for advice and then make a big, detailed "pros & cons" list for both schools. Also take into account how much money you realistically think you can make upon graduation.

Remember, you'll have that MA on your CV for the rest of your life, so 5 or 10 years of paying off debt might be worth it. At the same time, if you find that you can accomplish your goals by going to Korbel, then there might not be a need for the debt.

Korbel is considered to be the same caliber of school as any in the top 10, and definitely has pull in DC. That being said you should go to the professional school offering you the most financial aid.

Also, fyi, Korbel has the best security program outside of Columbia's PhD, SAIS, or the Naval Post-Grad school.

I think you can succeed at any of those schools if one makes constant effort to do well, participate, and network.  That being said, I do not believe you should hold Fletcher's ranking as a huge pro (abeit yes it is a pro nonetheless), but not enough to waive a full tuition scholarship to Korbel.  

I would suggest what carpecc said.  Analyze the course listings for each school.  Plot out your degree plan and see which one offers the best prep for your career.

Hi everyone,

I'm having a dilemma after getting into Korbel 100% tuition scholarship for 2 years and then getting an acceptance at Fletcher with a 9k scholarship. I also got into Syracuse but haven't heard about fin aid. I'm interested in International Security with a focus on the Middle East and was wondering if anyone though it would be worth going into 60-70k debt for Fletcher with this interest in mind. Are the education, reputation and connections at Fletcher that much better? Would Syracuse be worth it? Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Congrats on the full-ride from Korbel!

If I were in that position, I would take the full-ride offer. Not having debt coming out of graduate school would be amazing and allow you to freely pursue whatever career you want--you won't have to worry quite so much about salary.

-houdi

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your input. It's really good to get different perspectives on this. I have more to add, I just got into MSFS and SAIS today. No word on funding. Someone said that SAIS has the best security program. Is that true? If so would that be worth paying even partial tuition for? I know I should wait until I hear about fin aid from the other schools, but the above schools are notoriously stingy with $. Any advice is again, greatly appreciated!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your input. It's really good to get different perspectives on this. I have more to add, I just got into MSFS and SAIS today. No word on funding. Someone said that SAIS has the best security program. Is that true? If so would that be worth paying even partial tuition for? I know I should wait until I hear about fin aid from the other schools, but the above schools are notoriously stingy with $. Any advice is again, greatly appreciated!

Congrats on your acceptances! The strategic studies program at SAIS is run by a neocon, which I've heard to be a make or break factor for applicants considering the program. I've heard really good things about Georgetown's security program, though I'd expect there to be more military types/mid-level professionals in there program.