Candians going south?

LisaTO

Hello,

I am curious whether there are any other Canadians thinking of attending American divinity schools. I have been accepted to two excellent Canadian schools for an MA in religion, however, last week I got accepted to the MTS program at Harvard Div. I never even contemplated what i would do if I were faced with this decision because I didn't think I'd get in. Do you folks have any thoughts?

Off-topic, but what's the other Canadian school you've been accepted to? And what sub-field are you in?

For what it's worth, I think that there's enough of a distinction between an MA and an MTS that it really depends on what you'd like to do afterwards.

Off-topic, but what's the other Canadian school you've been accepted to? And what sub-field are you in?

For what it's worth, I think that there's enough of a distinction between an MA and an MTS that it really depends on what you'd like to do afterwards.

I was also accepted to Wilfred Laurier's Religion and Culture program. Not the most well-known school, but they focus on contemporary issues and ethnographic approaches, which is what I want to do. My proposed work is about evangelical, Christian inner-city missions and religious diversity.

What do you do johndiligent? Congrats on all the choices, btw.

I was also accepted to Wilfred Laurier's Religion and Culture program. Not the most well-known school, but they focus on contemporary issues and ethnographic approaches, which is what I want to do. My proposed work is about evangelical, Christian inner-city missions and religious diversity.

What do you do johndiligent? Congrats on all the choices, btw.

Laurier Religion and Culture is a great choice! A friend of mine is on the tenure-track there and speaks very highly of the departmental atmosphere. Also, my cousin got his MA there before moving on to Waterloo for the PhD and it seems to have served him very well. I didn't consider going there because my interests are not remotely contemporary, but in some ways I wished that I could have.

I'm studying identity and social behaviour in 1st to 3rd century Mediterranean religion, with an emphasis on early Christian groups.

Laurier Religion and Culture is a great choice! A friend of mine is on the tenure-track there and speaks very highly of the departmental atmosphere. Also, my cousin got his MA there before moving on to Waterloo for the PhD and it seems to have served him very well. I didn't consider going there because my interests are not remotely contemporary, but in some ways I wished that I could have.

I'm studying identity and social behaviour in 1st to 3rd century Mediterranean religion, with an emphasis on early Christian groups.

I second that. Pamela Klassen got her MA, at Laurier, before moving on to Drew, for her Ph.D.

I applied to Waterloo, Ph.D. (joint-programme). Of the four schools, to which I applied, it's definitely the best fit, and has the most resources for my area of study. The faculty member, at Waterloo, with whom I spoke, was really excited about my work.

LisaTO--For the type of research you describe, it sounds like an MA would be better--if you want to continue your studies. But, only you know what's best for you.

I also think that a lot of Americans are way too obsessed in with brand name, but maybe they have to be. In Canada, we have less tiers in our education system. I know many people, at my MA programme, who got TT jobs at excellent institutions in the US and Canada.

My SO is an academic, in a different field. He continuously reminds me that it's not where you do your Ph.D., but what you do with it.

As for going south, it's a possibility, but I have no idea. I applied to 2 US schools, and 2 Canadian schools. I've heard from one, Drew, a rejection. My other US school has not, yet, started to notify (end of March, I think). U of T, well, you know that story, and Waterloo, who also hasn't notified.

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

I applied to Waterloo, Ph.D. (joint-programme). Of the four schools, to which I applied, it's definitely the best fit, and has the most resources for my area of study. The faculty member, at Waterloo, with whom I spoke, was really excited about my work.

Fingers crossed for Waterloo, then! Sounds like an excellent fit... Good luck!

LisaTO--For the type of research you describe, it sounds like an MA would be better--if you want to continue your studies. But, only you know what's best for you.

I agree with this, but note that I'm biased in this area. But my bias comes out of my departmental upbringing, so it's relevant. Among departments that emphasise a social-scientific approach to the study of religion, degrees granted by Divinity Schools (or even MA's granted by schools that have Divinity Schools attached to them, or theses written under an advisor who splits his time between a Divinity School and a Religion department) can be met with a bit of disdain. So if you want to get your PhD from such a department or ultimately teach in one, it might be worth it to stray away from the MTS. That said, if you are theologically oriented, and you would rather study from within a religious context, then an MTS is probably the right choice.

The reach of this prejudice can be pretty deep. For instance, one of my mentors has cautioned me against accepting Toronto's offer or McGill's if they make one because - while they have excellent reputations - other schools offer, in his words, a better academic religious studies training

rather than one in conjunction with the Christian colleges at UofT or McGill. And, the kicker, he did his PhD at one of the latter.