MFA count as MA for PHD?

Hi all,

I have my MFA in Creative Writing and I'm interested in pursuing a PhD in Rhet-Comp. Anyone know or have experience with a program that accepts the MFA as the master's credit towards a PhD?

(while getting my MFA I taught composition courses and have lots of experience teaching writing)

Thanks!

This definitely depends on the program. A lot of programs won't even accept every MA credit. I would contact the schools that you plan to apply for and see what their policies are. But, I think as long as you can explain in your Statements of Purpose/Academic Statements how your experience in your MFA program will contribute to your further studies, you'll still have a chance.

I'm Lit not Rhet/Comp so GRAIN OF SALT but I applied with an MFA and I don't think I found a single school that took issue with it. One DGS said that transcripts - ideally you've taken a handful of non-creative English classes with good grades - and writing sample would demonstrate experience. Again, this is Lit vs R/C so definitely research the specific programs you're interested in, but you have cause to be optimistic. I also don't think I mentioned or tried to explain my MFA in my SoP. Space was limited and it seemed non-essential from talking to people at the programs I was eyeing.

My comp/rhet grad program actually admitted a couple people with MFAs into our PhD program (MAs are required). The people did have experience teaching comp and had research interests and experiences that were relevant (like working at a writing center). 

However, from the bits and pieces I heard, this doesn't tend to be "the norm." It's a sort of case-by-case basis, for at least in my program, students will be thrown right in and faculty want to be sure they can keep up/won't have too hard of a time. So, it really does help to have some previous experience in the field. But, again, experience can demonstrate itself in numerous ways. 

As you consider applying, think about what you want to do, why comp/rhet, why specific schools' programs, and what you can offer the field with your experiences. Fit is truly everything, and if you can compelling demonstrate that, then that'll really help.