Specializing in Neuropsychology

neurologic

I won't be applying for grad school for a couple more years but I have my sights set on getting my PhD in clinical psychology and becoming a neuropsychologist.

I was just wondering how exactly that process works? I know I have to do my clinical psychology degree first and then specialize in neuropsychology after, but does the school I attend need to have a specific neuropsychology track?

I've seen programs in the US that are specifically neuropsychology (and most neuropsychologists I've seen have attended school in the US) but I'm from Canada and would prefer to stay here. I know a few schools have neuropsychology streams but would it be possible to become a neuropsychologist without attending one of these schools? And if so, are there any specific things I do need to look for in schools?

To my knowledge, the clinical psych program does not need to have a specific neuropsych track, but you want there to be faculty that does neuropsych research. The program should also be APA or CPA accredited. You need to make sure your practicums are assessment heavy so that you are competitive for a neuropsych internship and then a formal two-year neuropsych post doc. 

Specialization in neuropsychology typically begins during pre- and post-doc internships (i.e., after doctoral [coursework] training). However, there are certain courses and clinical experiences you will need to accrue in order to qualify for internships. After completing your internships and becoming a licensed psychologist, you would need to be certified by one of the two neuropsych boards to be competitive in the market. If you google Neuropsychology Houston guidelines, you will see exactly what's required.

https://legacy.abpp.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3402

Edited by schizometric

Hey Canadian here so can help! There's currently 1 English Canadian and 1 French Canadian schools that are accredited by the CPA for a full-fledged Neuropsychology program. These are York University and Université de Montréal. Both of them offer programs that ascertain that you will receive the clinical training to declare competency with the college of psychologist in that province (Ontario for York, Quebec for Montreal). As part of their programs, you will also receive general clinical training that allows you to also declare comptency as a clinical psychologist. As others have said, an important part of this is the internship at the end of your graduate studies where you will likely focus on neuropsychology. Going to a program that has a clinical neuropsychology stream indicates to those internship sites that you have the background training to be a competitive trainee (coursework, clinical skills, practicum training, etc). There are other clinical programs across Canada that also offer neuropsychology streams, but those are not yet accredited by the CPA.