Application FAIL

Texas

I haven't heard from any schools, but judging by all the acceptances posted in this forum re: my schools-of-choice, my chances are looking pretty grim. This is a huge disappointment to say the least. Any advice on communicating with the schools? Should I ask to speak with someone on the AdCom for advice on how to improve my application for the coming year ASAP? Plead to be admitted this year? Write a fat check to the school, and pray it doesn't bounce before they reconsider and offer me admission? Has anyone else experienced this?

Without knowing any specifics, it's hard to pinpoint what you could do....

Have you had any relevant work/intern/volunteer experience(s)? Did you apply straight out of undergrad? --this may have played a role...

Did you apply to any "safety schools"?

Have you been rejected outright, or just haven't heard? You could have been wait-listed...

I haven't heard a peep, but it's not looking good. It's such a helpless feeling. There must be SOMETHING I can do. I'm wary of being too specific with details on the forum, but to give you an idea I have over 5 years of WE in public policy/politics, and I didn't apply to safety schools. I really won't know what my weaknesses are unless someone from the AdCom is candid with me. Has anyone spoken with a professor/member of the AdCom before reapplying? Begged their way in after being rejected?

I haven't heard a peep, but it's not looking good. It's such a helpless feeling. There must be SOMETHING I can do. I'm wary of being too specific with details on the forum, but to give you an idea I have over 5 years of WE in public policy/politics, and I didn't apply to safety schools. I really won't know what my weaknesses are unless someone from the AdCom is candid with me. Has anyone spoken with a professor/member of the AdCom before reapplying? Begged their way in after being rejected?

What schools did you apply for? You mention that you didn't apply to any safety schools, but I wonder if all your schools were top ranked programs? In any case, I can't imagine anyone "begging" their way into a program. Best chances are for you to get some feedback from the AdComs as to what you can do to improve your application.

Keeping in mind that it was a tough year for admissions, are you absolutely sure that you're out at every program you applied to? Some schools don't release decisions all at once, so unless you've received a rejection letter there might still be a possibility to hear good news..

I'm in a similar situation. I still haven't heard back from all schools, but so far its 3 rejections. Someone told me early in the process that being a bit different (coming from an Australian media background, having worked in Indonesia for two years, four years full time work experience by age 24) would help, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all...

Do the admissions departments usually give feedback if you ask for it? I'd really like to know just where I went wrong for future reference.

I'm in a similar situation. I still haven't heard back from all schools, but so far its 3 rejections. Someone told me early in the process that being a bit different (coming from an Australian media background, having worked in Indonesia for two years, four years full time work experience by age 24) would help, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all...

Do the admissions departments usually give feedback if you ask for it? I'd really like to know just where I went wrong for future reference.

I remember Tufts explicitly offered feedback.

I remember Tufts explicitly offered feedback.

I know Georgetown offers feedback after May !st. Texas w/o really knowing your stats i wouldn't know what advice to offer. I think the easiest thing to improve (unless you did really well) would be your GRE Scores. I did REALLY bad on my verbal, completely ignored the section in studying and put my efforts into the math. If i was to reapply i would bust out some flash cards and go to town. Other than that, buff up on npo volunteer biz. If you do live in Texas, let me know, i sit on a few different np boards and committees across the state and would love to help if i can.

NOT TO MENTION YOU HAVENT BEEN REJECTED YET!!! So hang in there.

Im one up one down with 2 to go....

Hang in there - admissions season isn't over yet!

As for what may have gone wrong, it's tough to tell. I lost an entire year back in '07/'08 when I applied all over the place - even to a couple "safety schools" - and didn't get in anywhere. I didn't know what I did wrong, but I sure felt like I wasn't out of my league or anything. I wasn't sure why until I had a friend who worked in the admissions office of one of the schools I applied to check my file. Turns out an undergrad professor (who I did a lot of work for and believed he liked/respected me) that I thought was a good reference sunk me with his letter of rec. The jack*ss literally wrote that he didn't think I had the capacity for graduate-level study. Who does that instead of just politely declining to write the letter? No wonder I didn't get in anywhere; I found another recommender for the following year and got into every school I applied to save one.

Very frustrating as you can imagine (to say the least). I still want to choke the guy and do plan on one day calling him out face-to-face. So you never really know unfortunately :( Best of luck to you though!

As for what may have gone wrong, it's tough to tell. I lost an entire year back in '07/'08 when I applied all over the place - even to a couple "safety schools" - and didn't get in anywhere. I didn't know what I did wrong, but I sure felt like I wasn't out of my league or anything. I wasn't sure why until I had a friend who worked in the admissions office of one of the schools I applied to check my file. Turns out an undergrad professor (who I did a lot of work for and believed he liked/respected me) that I thought was a good reference sunk me with his letter of rec. The jack*ss literally wrote that he didn't think I had the capacity for graduate-level study. Who does that instead of just politely declining to write the letter? No wonder I didn't get in anywhere; I found another recommender for the following year and got into every school I applied to save one.

Very frustrating as you can imagine (to say the least). I still want to choke the guy and do plan on one day calling him out face-to-face. So you never really know unfortunately :( Best of luck to you though!

What an abysmal person. That's not the way to handle such things.

i can't believe that. when i asked my letter writers to write me a "good letter," they said of course. one even said writing even a neutral letter would be unprofessional. for this guy to ruin your chances was low-life. at least you are in a good school now.

I haven't heard from any schools, but judging by all the acceptances posted in this forum re: my schools-of-choice, my chances are looking pretty grim. This is a huge disappointment to say the least. Any advice on communicating with the schools? Should I ask to speak with someone on the AdCom for advice on how to improve my application for the coming year ASAP? Plead to be admitted this year? Write a fat check to the school, and pray it doesn't bounce before they reconsider and offer me admission? Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm in almost the same boat. 4 schools: 1 rejection, 2 waitlists, and one acceptance with no funding at a place I'm not sure I really want that much. Should I wait another year and reapply? Suck it up and go to a school I am unsure about (Harris)? I definitely hope the schools I applied to can offer feedback on how I can improve. I'm thinking rejigger personal statements, improve a lacklustre GRE, get new references, and change jobs to something that sounds way cooler...

I'm in almost the same boat. 4 schools: 1 rejection, 2 waitlists, and one acceptance with no funding at a place I'm not sure I really want that much. Should I wait another year and reapply? Suck it up and go to a school I am unsure about (Harris)? I definitely hope the schools I applied to can offer feedback on how I can improve. I'm thinking rejigger personal statements, improve a lacklustre GRE, get new references, and change jobs to something that sounds way cooler...

Harris sounds like a great place to get an MPP. I really regret not applying there, instead opting for CIR at Chicago, which doesn't make much sense for me now that I know more.

What are you looking to study that you feel Harris would be weak and others would be strong?

(I also understand your concern about loans...I'd recommend talking to someone at the admissions office and be frank about your financial concerns. My friend did that for U Penn -- not for policy -- and they really tried to make it work for him.)