Needing some advice on going into this field

I'm beginning to second guess myself on whether this is worth it and I'm looking for some input. 

Here's the issue: I was doing a bit of research not long ago, and I found that it's very hard to break into the medical setting, my primary interest. The two settings I'm not very interested in - schools and SNFs - are the ones that compose a majority of the field. If I have to work in a SNF for my CF to open up more medical opportunities, I'm fine with that. It may suck but you gotta do what you gotta do. 

But... I've heard its still very difficult to go medical. That there's very little openings for a lot of interest and you usually have to relocate. I'm open to hospital/acute/in or outpatient/private practices/... pretty much anything but SNF or school. Is this a bad decision if my interests are rather narrowed? Am I pushing myself into a dead end and should I look elsewhere?

I know most of you guys here are just in grad/fresh out so may not have direct experience, but any input is much appreciated. Panicking a bit here, LOL. 

I actually see a lot of openings in medical facilities. Have you just browsed hospitals and rehabs in your area to see? My suggestion is to look for programs that have a specified medical track or emphasis. Also, assuming you haven’t applied yet - try shadowing and volunteering at hospitals. 

I’ve seen a good amount of medical openings in my area, but the only catch is that you need medical experience already. And CFs in medical settings are hard to come by due to the supervision aspect. My advice is to talk to professors and see if they have any connections or can maybe put you in contact with alumni who are in a medical setting now. They’ll be able to give you tips and sometimes it’s all about who you know 

Just be aware you’ll have to do pediatric in grad school to get therapy hours. It’s not impossible to go medical but will be more difficult. Look at the SLP Reddit. Others have talked about this and the people there are more established in the field than here. 

6 minutes ago, jpiccolo said:

Just be aware you’ll have to do pediatric in grad school to get therapy hours. It’s not impossible to go medical but will be more difficult. Look at the SLP Reddit. Others have talked about this and the people there are more established in the field than here. 

Yeah, searching through reddit was what kinda made me start to question my decision. 

Obviously I have no issues with doing peds during externships and such, that's just part of the education. Just would rather not for my entire career. 

I'd say if where you plan to live is flexible go for it.  IF on the other hand you have a pretty specific location in mind for where you want to settle down and this does not correspond with a fair amount of openings after a few years of snf or home health experience I'd take some time to think.  

Most med SLPs I knew in school were more open to SNFs as a launching point it wasn't their ideal but they're willing to pay their dues a few years then switch over.

I had a friend who really didn't like grad school except for one hospital rotation needless to say it was a LONG 2 years for them and they moved across the country to pursue a SNF placement when their ideal is acute care.  No guarantees they'll have more options after their cfy closer to home.  

What do you love about medical?  Maybe pursue a specialized medical tract not full blown dr but works with dysphasia since that is what med SLPs do.

My tip is to find a niche and dive deep through research (do a thesis project) and extra certifications. "Medical" is a pretty wide term that includes the entire lifespan and scope of disorders SLP's cover.  If you're willing to do a thesis project under a professor, 1) you'll probably make tons of connections on your own. I've had classmates do thesis projects related to aphasia and dysphagia in adults and they end up doing heavy recruiting and spending lots of time in hospitals. It is a great way to make connections. 2) That professor may be willing to "show you the ropes" on how to break into those areas. 3) You'll become quite an expert on the topic and sort of "prove yourself" as committed to that area. Finally, don't feel like you HAVE to be an expert when you interview. One of my SLP mentors told me she worked several years in schools and clinics before landing a great job at a hospital. She said that in her interview they asked about her variety of experience and she was honest, "I need to brush up on ____" but she still got the job. 

Other advice, listen to the professors and clinical instructors who are advising you. Many of them had (or still have!) long and varied careers before working at the university level. 

Finally, I'd say remember that it takes a bit of time. You're not going to land your dream job right out of school. It may take a few years to work your way up. Start in a SNF to get some good hard skills and experience. Be willing to move or have a long commute if it means you're learning invaluable skills.