how to say yes?

EelAwaits

So I've been accepted by my first choice, with full funding, fellowship, the works. The official word and offer came from the department itself, with further information to come from the university. The department administrator told me that the latter is a formality, and that the university will rubber stamp my application since I meet all their basic criteria.

My question is this: since I know I'm going to say yes, when should I tell the department? Is there any reason not to respond right away, at least let them know my intention to accept? I realize I have till April 15, but I've already decided. Will appreciate any thoughts on this.

If you already know, then just let them know now. There's really no reason to wait if you have fully decided on this school. And congrats by the way.

I imagine if my first choice accepts me, I will be responding with my answer in less than a minute after they sent it. :lol:

Edited by joro

Yes, you should definitely respond as soon as you know for sure you're going to accept. For me, once I decided, the department head told me to respond to the email that the PhD director had sent me with the offer of admission (they're sending the more formal paperwork in the mail). There could be others on the waitlist, or those who haven't heard anything from your program--you responding may mean the department can move on with decisions for other applicants.

Yes, if you're sure then let the department know as soon as possible. This time of year departments go through a period of uncertainty, and you'll be helping remove some of it. The sooner everyone notifies the department if they accept or decline their offers, the sooner the department can decide what to do with wait-listed applicants and inform them of their status.

If you have other offers you should maybe keep the second choice until you get the official acceptance from your top choice, just in case, though there's really no reason to expect anything to go wrong. Once it's official, inform the other schools as well. Again, same logic.

Congratulations on getting into your first choice!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say you "anticipate accepting" pending your formal letter. That way they have a pretty good idea what you're doing, but you're not locked in just in case something happened - not that it would.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use