Why is it necessary to know a foreign language while doing PhD?

I've looking for MA and PhD courses in the US. I like what the State University of Washington and NYU are offering. What I don't understand is why is it necessary to know a foreign language while doing PhD? What if I choose to research on something that doesn't require knowing any foreign language?

As it was explained to me, PhDs and MAs are required to know at least one foreign language so that they may engage with critical texts and analyses published by scholars in journals that are written in a language other than English. 

One might argue that it is a bit of an "old school hold-over from the European-American academy" (not my words, haha), in that there are many ways to translate articles today that (I guess?) don't require you to actually be reading-fluent in another language. Nevertheless, it remains a requirement as it is obviously necessary that one can keep up with at least the written work in their field. And, if I'm honest, being able to read an article (armed with a dictionary and grammar chart if needed) is usually a lot better than relying on an online translation resource. 

Also - I haven't heard of it being related to what you study. Granted, the transnational turn has prompted Anglophone scholars to consider translated texts and texts that incorporate other languages (hence why having another language that ties into your work (if applicable) is a bonus), but - even if you only read things originally (and totally) written in English - you're expected to be able to at least read articles in French/German/Spanish/etc. that also deal with those Anglophone texts. 

Hope this helps!

*Source: I was focused on Anglophone texts as an MA and had a language test requirement (I had to translate a literature article pass/fail) and will be starting a PhD as an Anglophone studies person and also have a foreign language requirement (I imagine the test is similar to my MA language test.)*

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

Agree with the above, but want to add that the guidelines for what "knowing a foreign language" means vary across programs. My program requires two languages, but the university offers summer graduate language courses to help you check these off easily. I also wasn't aware that the four language skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking) can be taught separately. For example, I can do a decent translation of something written in french, but if you asked me to speak or listen to people speaking French I'd have no idea what's going on. I've never needed more than that throughout research. It would be a good idea to find out which skills you need to be proficient in for your desired programs, especially if you don't think languages will be important to your work.

@a_sort_of_fractious_angel hit it on the head, although I do want to add that there is a growing willingness for programs to grant some sort of exception for "equivalent skills" (to use the language of a few schools I considered). A lot of program guides mention computer programming as a way to satisfy the foreign language requirement, and the university I'm off to doesn't have a foreign language requirement but what they call a "tool requirement," in which you gain some skill that will help you in your literary studies and where foreign languages are just one option available.

Edited by Melvillage_Idiot